1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding a differentiation

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    I'm working my way through a solution of a problem and am confused on a step where a differentiation is performed. I'm sure I'm just forgetting some kind of rule, but I've been perusing my textbook and can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. Here's the step I'm talking about:

5nnt.png

Note that there's a typo in the solution: [itex]\frac{dx^2}{dt^2}[/itex] should be [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/itex].

The top part I understand completely, it's the bottom half I'm confused about. It seems to me that:

[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dt}) = \frac{dx}{ds}(\frac{\alpha}{2}\sqrt{\frac{K}{m}}e^{-\frac{\alpha t}{2}})[/itex]

In other words, I don't understand where the second group of terms (after the + sign) comes from in the last line. Why is it there?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's because dx/ds is generally a function of t. It's not a constant. You need to use the product rule when you differentiate the result of the top half.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted