Need help understanding text from 'Calculus' by Apostol

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the uniqueness of a certain value in mathematics. This is typically done by assuming that there are two values that satisfy a property, and then finding a contradiction. However, in some cases, this is not necessary. The conversation also mentions that if both existence and uniqueness are shown, an "iff" statement can be used.
omoplata
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Since the difficulty I have is with the text of the book, and not the exercises, I posted here.

In proving theorem I.2, how is theorem I.1 used to assert that 'there is at most one such x'? The first image below gives the background text. The text I have trouble with is highlighted in the second image below.

Apostol_pg18.png

Apostol_pg19.png

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that x and y satisfy theorem 1.2.

That means that:
a + x = b
a + y = b

What can you deduce from that about a + x and a + y?

Likes Astyute Chick
Samy_A said:

But I can't assume that. Theorem I.2 is the one I'm trying to prove.

omoplata said:
But I can't assume that. Theorem I.2 is the one I'm trying to prove.
You are questioning the part of theorem 1.2 that 'there is at most one such x'.
You prove that by assuming that there are two, and then (hopefully), conclude that they must be equal.
That in itself indeed doesn't prove that "there exists" an x satisfying theorem 1.2, but that if one exists, it is unique.
Do you see how that uniqueness follows from theorem 1.1?

Likes Astyute Chick
Oh, I see now.

So I have come up to the point saying a + x = b.

But I do not know yet if x is unique. So I assume there is a another y such that a + y = b.

Then, a + x = a + y

From theorem I.1, x = y.

Therefore x is unique.

Thank you!

Likes Astyute Chick and Samy_A
Samy_A said:

That means that:
a + x = b
a + y = b

What can you deduce from that about a + x and a + y?
Had the same problem as omoplata! Thanks for answering :)

Maybe this will help for future reference. In mathematics, when we are trying to show uniqueness. We usually do this by assuming that there are two things that have a given property. Then we find a contradiction.

If you have taken linear algebra. A good example would be the uniqueness of the additive identity of a vector space, the 0 vector.

Your post #5, is a great idea to think about when we want to show uniqueness.

One more thing. If you are able to show existence and uniqueness, we get an iff statement.

MidgetDwarf said:
Maybe this will help for future reference. In mathematics, when we are trying to show uniqueness. We usually do this by assuming that there are two things that have a given property. Then we find a contradiction.

If you have taken linear algebra. A good example would be the uniqueness of the additive identity of a vector space, the 0 vector.

Your post #5, is a great idea to think about when we want to show uniqueness.

Rather assuming that if two things satisfy a given property, then they are equal. Sometimes contradiction can be used, but most of the times it isn't necessary (in your example of the additive identity it isn't necessary: if 0,0' are identities, it follows that 0 + 0' = 0 = 0' + 0 and 0+0' = 0' = 0' + 0, in particular thus 0=0')

Math_QED said:
Rather assuming that if two things satisfy a given property, then they are equal. Sometimes contradiction can be used, but most of the times it isn't necessary (in your example of the additive identity it isn't necessary: if 0,0' are identities, it follows that 0 + 0' = 0 = 0' + 0 and 0+0' = 0' = 0' + 0, in particular thus 0=0')
That is why i said usually. However, you were correct with the "rather assuming ..." part. I chose the example of the additive identity, because it shows how to start a uniqueness proof. The contradiction part was added, because there are a few theorems and exercises coming up in Apostol that the OP will need to know this idea.

Likes member 587159

What is the purpose of 'Calculus' by Apostol?

The purpose of 'Calculus' by Apostol is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the fundamental concepts and techniques of calculus. It covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and their applications in a clear and concise manner.

Who is the target audience for 'Calculus' by Apostol?

The target audience for 'Calculus' by Apostol is primarily undergraduate students in mathematics, engineering, physics, and other related fields. It is also suitable for self-study for anyone interested in learning the principles of calculus.

What sets 'Calculus' by Apostol apart from other calculus textbooks?

'Calculus' by Apostol is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to teaching calculus. It emphasizes the development of mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than just memorization of formulas and procedures. It also includes numerous challenging exercises and proofs to deepen the understanding of the concepts.

What are the prerequisites for understanding 'Calculus' by Apostol?

A strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus is necessary to understand 'Calculus' by Apostol. Some familiarity with basic concepts of calculus, such as limits and derivatives, is also helpful but not required.

What are some useful resources for further understanding 'Calculus' by Apostol?

Some useful resources for further understanding 'Calculus' by Apostol include online forums and study groups, additional textbooks or lecture notes on specific topics, and practice problems and solutions. It is also beneficial to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.