1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding this question

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dry steam is compressed isothermally from a pressure of 1 bar to 4 bar. if the initial volume is 0.5 m^3, calculate the volume of the steam after compression

2. Relevant equations

Dont know

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it means with the temperature staying constant :wink:

(from the greek "iso-", meaning "same")

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    so how do i calculate it , does anyone know the equation of how to do it?

5. May 13, 2012 #4
    Since this is dry (completely vapor state) you could model with the ideal gas law

PV=nRT

since it is isothermal T is does not change, therefore: n,R, and T are all constant and the right side of the equation is the same before and after compression, so
    P1V1=P2V2

V2 = (P1V1)/P2 , plug and chug

6. May 13, 2012 #5
    do i convert the 1 bar ? or do i just keep it as
    v2=(1x0.5)/4 ?

7. May 13, 2012 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is there anymore information, e.g., the temperature, or the amount of superheat? Using the ideal gas law, or Boyle's law would be appropriate for an approximation. If the temperature is at a saturation level between 1 bar and 4 bar, then at the intermediate pressure, there would be some condensation (vapor to liquid transformation).

8. May 13, 2012 #7
    no that was all the information that was given

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook