Need help with a Bernoulli(?) expression

In summary: Looks like they multiplied-through by volume (V)?Yes, multiplying by volume would produce this equation.
Rajasti
Hello! So this is my problem here, there's a question I've been studying for an exam in which I really can't understand the answer. Basically it has multiple choices and I'm very undecided. So this is it:

Expression: "What does this expression reflect? PV + mgh + 0,5mv^2 = constant "

a) Conservation of energy per volume unit, within an ideal fluid;
b) Conservation of energy per mass unit, within a Newtonian fluid;
c) Conservation of energy for an incompressible fluid;
d) None of the above. It's simply Bernoulli's Equation;

Which one is correct? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajasti said:
Hello! So this is my problem here, there's a question I've been studying for an exam in which I really can't understand the answer. Basically it has multiple choices and I'm very undecided. So this is it:

What are the units of the equation?

This is all the question description has. No mention of units of any kind :/

Rajasti said:
This is all the question description has. No mention of units of any kind.
You can just pick a system of units, such as metric units, and see how that effects the equation you have.

Likes russ_watters
Rajasti said:

Where did you get this equation from? It is definitely not the Bernoulli equation as I know it. What is m, V, and h in your relationship?

Chestermiller said:
Where did you get this equation from? It is definitely not the Bernoulli equation as I know it. What is m, V, and h in your relationship?
Looks like they multiplied-through by volume (V)?

russ_watters said:
Looks like they multiplied-through by volume (V)?
What does it even mean physically to do something like that?

Well, believe it or not, this weird question has been present in my teacher's exam several years now. And today I'm having this exam and I'm afraid this crappy question comes up. I've asked here, reddit, asked physics friends. I've had some say is A), some say it's D). I am desperate here, and at this point Imma have to risk one of them through intuition or something. Can't seem to unite a consensus :(

What it seems to me is cinetic energy (0,5mv^2), potencial energy (mgh) and something relates to energy in PV as in Pressure * Volume. But I have no idea what this is either.

A friend of mine said that if you divide this expression by V, you get P + rhogh + 1/2rhov^2, this because rho (specific mass) = m(mass) / V (volume) and then you get Bernoulli equation. So he said maybe D). Just a stupid way for the teacher to test if we recognize Bernoulli equation in a slightly different setting...

Rajasti said:

I've read/laerned about at least three ways to obtain the Bernoulli equation, one of them was to derive it by starting with the conservation of energy of an incompressible fluid without losses (friction). So for me answer c) could be the right one. Dividing it by the volume yields the "classic" Bernoulli equation, every pupil hears about in school.

EDIT: ..and of course no heat transfer.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Rajasti said:
What it seems to me is cinetic energy (0,5mv^2), potencial energy (mgh) and something relates to energy in PV as in Pressure * Volume. But I have no idea what this is either.
And both kinetic and potential energy are forms of_____? C'mon, I think I know what the teacher is getting at and it really is that easy!

Next, since it is obviously at least related to Bernoulli's equation, what are the required assumptions/constraints on Bernoulli's equation?
Rajasti said:
Just a stupid way for the teacher to test if we recognize Bernoulli equation in a slightly different setting...
I think that is the purpose and if so, the fact that you and your classmates are having so much trouble with it proves it isn't a stupid question but a necessary one!

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
What does it even mean physically to do something like that?
You might use this [nearly]exact equation (with or without a time factor) to describe the function of a hydroelectric dam, for example. As @stockzahn pointed out, this just takes Bernoulli's equation back to the conservation of energy statement it came from (you can view it from either direction).

Last edited:
I thought the answer was given away already, but since there are still questions, try eliminating wrong options. If you used my suggestion of using metric units for the terms of the equation is each term a value of a) energy per unit volume or b) energy per unit mass or c) just energy?

1. What is a Bernoulli expression?

A Bernoulli expression is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and height in a fluid flow. It is named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, who first described this relationship in the 18th century.

2. How is a Bernoulli expression used in science?

Bernoulli expressions are used in various fields of science, such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics. They help scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of fluids in different situations, such as in pipes, airplanes, and rivers.

3. Can you provide an example of a Bernoulli expression?

One example of a Bernoulli expression is the equation: P + 1/2ρv^2 + ρgh = constant, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid. This equation shows the conservation of energy in a fluid flow.

4. What are the assumptions made in a Bernoulli expression?

The Bernoulli expression is based on the assumption that the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and flows at a steady rate. It also assumes that there is no external work being done on the fluid and that the fluid is flowing along a streamline.

5. How can I use a Bernoulli expression to solve a problem?

To use a Bernoulli expression to solve a problem, you need to first identify the variables involved in the situation, such as pressure, velocity, and height. Then, you can plug in these values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to make sure that the units are consistent throughout the equation.