Need Help with Advanced (Past AP) High School Courses

In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who has taken 9 dual enrollment courses and plans to take 4 more. They have reached their limit on college dual enrollment courses and are interested in taking math, science, and engineering courses through an online high school. They have found Stanford Online High School to offer courses above AP level, but it is too expensive. They are looking for cheaper alternatives and are also considering independent study at a college for courses in statistical mechanics and quantum chemistry. They are open to suggestions for other online high schools with adequate course offerings and are willing to pay up to $1000 per class.
megatyler30
I'm going into Senior year. I live I have taken 9 (3 I paid for so they don't count as dual enrollment) dual enrollment courses and next year I'm taking 4 more. I've reached my limit on college dual enrollment courses yet I have 2 spots in my schedule. I would like to use these to take math/science/engineering courses. I am allowed more "dual enrollment" courses as long as they are from a (online) high school. I would be interest in taking college-level (above AP and courses I've already taken) classes. I saw Stanford Online High School and they are the only one I've come across so far to offer classes above AP level. There is one problem though, the price, it's about $3000 per class and my high school will only pay about $500. Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives? By the way, I've looked into high school independent study but it's only for courses the district already offers, hence nothing I wouldn't already taken.

Listing of Previously Taken College/AP Courses:
Math:
Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Calculus 3
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Number Theory with Cryptology

Science:
AP Chemistry - 5
AP Physics C - 5 (on both Mechanics and E&M)
Organic Chemistry 1
Physical Chemistry 1 (and lab)

Engineering:
Engineering Materials (and lab)
Statics (as in Statics part of engineering mechanics)

Other:
AP US History
Principles of Economics (college course, basically does half of micro and half of macro)

Taking Soon:
Independent Study in Statistical Mechanics (at a college, out of McQuarrie, which is intended for chemistry graduate students, will also be doing some quantum out of Levine's Quantum Chemistry)
Modern Physics
Physical Chemistry 2
Intro to Nanotechnology

Anyways, any suggestions for online high schools with an adeque level of courework that I'd be able to take one or to classes at? Or possible other oppertunities. I don't mind paying part of it, but I definately don't have the money to spend $2500 per class. Around $1000 or less per class (before my school district's $500 contribution) would be the limit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is the purpose of taking advanced high school courses?

Advanced high school courses, such as AP or IB courses, are designed to challenge students and prepare them for college-level coursework. These courses demonstrate to colleges that students have the ability to handle rigorous academic material and can potentially earn college credit if they perform well on the corresponding exams.

How can I succeed in advanced high school courses?

To succeed in advanced high school courses, it is important to develop strong study habits and time management skills. It is also helpful to actively participate in class, seek help from teachers or tutors when needed, and regularly review material. Additionally, staying organized and maintaining a balanced workload can contribute to success in these courses.

What is the difference between AP and IB courses?

AP (Advanced Placement) and IB (International Baccalaureate) courses are both advanced high school courses that offer college credit opportunities. The main difference is that AP courses are developed and administered by the College Board, while IB courses are developed and administered by the International Baccalaureate Organization. Additionally, AP courses tend to focus more on specific subject areas, while IB courses have a broader scope and require students to complete a certain number of hours in extracurricular activities and community service.

How do I know if I am ready for advanced high school courses?

It is important to consult with your guidance counselor and teachers to determine if you are ready for advanced high school courses. These courses require a strong foundation in the subject and a high level of dedication and commitment. It is also helpful to assess your own academic strengths and weaknesses to determine if you are prepared for the rigor of these courses.

Are advanced high school courses worth taking?

Taking advanced high school courses can have numerous benefits, such as preparing students for college-level coursework, potentially earning college credit, and standing out in the college admissions process. However, it is important to carefully consider your own academic abilities and interests before enrolling in these courses, as they can be challenging and require a significant amount of time and effort.