1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with combination of product and chain rule

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    I need help differentiating [tex] y=\sqrt{x-2}\sqrt{x+1} [/tex]

I am using a mix of the chain rule and product rule which my textbook for school wants me to use for this. So suggestions for differant ways of approaching it won't help :P Anyways, thanks in advance for looking over it. It's my first attempt at posting in latex so lets hope it works!

For my work I have:

(dy)/(dx)=[tex](x-2)^{1/2}\frac{d}{dx}(x+1)^{1/2}+(x+1)^{1/2}\frac{d}{dx}(x-2)^{1/2}[/tex]

=[tex](x-2)^{1/2}(\frac{1}{2})(x+1)^{-1/2}+(x+1)^{1/2}(\frac{1}{2})(x-2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

And that is exactly what they have in my textbook, so thats good. But...

For the third part my textbook has

=[tex](\frac{1}{2})(x+1)^{-1/2}(x-2)^{\frac{-1}{2}}(x-2+x+1)[/tex]

This is the step that I am not understanding, it's simple algebra but I am still not quite getting it :( Can someone help?

Then the last step is

=[tex] \frac{2x-1}{2(x+1)^{1/2}(x-2)^{1/2}}[/tex] Which I somewhat understand, but not really.
    \

PS - For the third step I am getting

=[tex](x-2)^{1/2}(\frac{1}{2})(x+1)^{-1/2}+(\frac{1}{2})(x+1)^{1/2}(x-2)^{-1/2} [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    For the third part, you're multiplying and dividing by [tex](x+1)^{-1/2}(x-2)^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]. Try it. The fourth step is just writing the previous expression in a neat way (Remember, [tex]x^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}[/tex]).

Btw, is it 3 or 2 that's in the first term? ;)

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    Fixed :). Now I gotta sit and think for a bit.

5. Sep 13, 2006 #4
    Aha! Finally I get it, simply set them up as 1/whatever^(1/2) then cross multiply to add :P Don't know why it didn't sink in immediately after I read your post but sometimes math is like that I guess. Thankyou Neutrino.

Anyways I have one more question for the day..

The Question is:

Differentiate y=[tex] \frac{3-x}{\sqrt{x^{2}-2x}} [/tex]

So here I am practicing the quotient rule instead of the product rule... I could of course use the product rule on y=(3-x)(x^2-2x)^(-1) but that would mean that I don't learn how to use the quotient rule. :P

The quotient rule is, of course [tex] \frac {v\frac {du}{dx} - u \frac {dv}{dx}}{v^{2}} [/tex]

Anyways, (this is an example problem by the way, not a homework question) For their first step they have:

(dy)/(dx)=[tex] \frac {\sqrt{x^{2}-2x} \frac {d}{dx}(3-x) - (3-x) \frac {d}{dx} (\sqrt{x^{2}-2x}}{x^{2}-2x} [/tex]

I understand this. The derivative of y with respect to x is [tex] \sqrt{x^{2}-2x} [/tex] multiplied by the derivative of (3-x) (which is of course -1) minus (3-x) multiplied by the derivative of [tex] \sqrt{x^{2}-2x} [/tex] (which is (2x-2)) But then for their second step they have:

[tex] \frac {(x^{2}-2x)^{1/2}(-1)-(3-x)(\frac{1}{2})(x^{2}-2x)^{-1/2}(2x-2)}{(x^2-2x)} [/tex]

I understand the first part on the numerator, (x^2-2x)^(1/2)(-1) since that is exactly what I stated should happen, the x^2-2x term is being multiplied by the derivitive of (3-x). But then the second part I don't quite understand... Why is (3-x) being multiplied by the derivative AND another form of the derivative? The power rule states that (x^2-2x)^(1/2) has a derivative of (1/2)(x^2-2x)^(-1/2) or the nx^(n-1)... I think this is being caused by me trying to grasp all the rules of the derivative in one day, right now it's like a mish mash of semi-remembered ideas. lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  6. Sep 13, 2006 #5
    The chain rule.

Suppose [tex]t = \sqrt{x^2-2x}[/tex] and [tex]u = x^2 - 2x[/tex].
    Therefore, [tex]t = u^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. Now, use the chain rule to differentiate t wrt x.

7. Sep 13, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is perhaps best handled by the logarithm rule.

8. Sep 13, 2006 #7
    Thanks

Thanks alot guys. Neutrino, much appreciated. I woke up today and read this thread and my mistake is much more obvious now. For some reason I was thinking that I was only using the power rule but of course the power rule is only for equations such as y=x^2 whereas the chain rule is for equations such as [tex] \sqrt {x-a} [/tex]. Anyways, thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?