1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with kinetic energy calculation

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1

This seems like a helpful community so I thought I could ask you guys for some help.

First of all I need to clarify that English is not my first language so you'll have to excuse me if I make any grammatical or spelling errors.

Ok, here's my question:

I'm am trying to calculate the kinetic energy of a person who is standing on a diving board 8 meters above the surface. He weighs 80kgs.

What is his kinetic energy after falling 2m ?

I think it's 1/2*80*9,8^2 = 3841,6 joule

But the textbook tells me I have the wrong answer

I also have to find out his velocity as he reaches the surface, and I have no clue where to even begin.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

You appear to have used the ke equation, without knowing his velocity - where did you get 9'8 from??

This is about conservation of energy.

Calculate how much PE he loses in falling 2m.

This is the ke he has after 2 metres.

For the speed as he hits the water, calculate how much PE he has lost by this point, this gives you the KE. Work backwords to find the velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?