1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with multi-segment deflection problem

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a uniform, horizontal beam 4.8m in length supported by a pin at x = 0 and a roller at x= 3.2m. There is a distributed weight of 12kN/m from x = 0 to x = 1.6m. There is a concentrated, vertical force of 2.4kN in the downward direction at x = 4.8.
    Find the deflection and define the coefficients of integration for each segment

2. Relevant equations
    EIY'' = double integral of Mdx
    Y is deflection

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the moment for each segment, but I can't seem to figure out what the coefficients are. I think I'm supposed to use symmetry conditions, and I know the deflection is 0 at x = 0 and x = 3.2 where there are supports. I can't figure out past that though.

M1 = 13.2x - 6x^2
    M2 = -6x + 15.36
    M3 = 2.4x - 11.52

EIV1 = 2.2x^3 - .5x^5 + C1x + C2
    C2 = 0

EIV2 = -x^3 + 7.68x^2 + C1x + C2

EIV3 = .4x^3 - 5.76x^2 + C1x + C2

I believe the moments I calculated are correct, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    Oh, I think I figured it out. V' is 0 at x = 1.1, from there I can find the rest of the coefficients

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?