Need help with this differential equation using separation of variables.

In summary, the person needs help with solving a differential equation and is unsure of what steps to take next. They mention that neither the top nor the bottom can be factored and that they need to use separation of variables. Another person gives them a hint to factor the numerator and denominator, and the original person realizes they need to separate out the terms. They confirm their progress and ask if their current equation is correct.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

The differential equation I have is dy/dx = (xy + 2y - x - 2)/(xy - 3y + x - 3). I need help getting started. Neither the top nor the bottom can be factored, so I don't know what to do next. Can anyone give me a push? All I know is that I need to use separation of variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
lilmul123 said:
Neither the top nor the bottom can be factored, so I don't know what to do next. Can anyone give me a push? All I know is that I need to use separation of variables.
The top and bottom can both be factored ... try again.

lilmul123 said:

Homework Statement

The differential equation I have is dy/dx = (xy + 2y - x - 2)/(xy - 3y + x - 3). I need help getting started. Neither the top nor the bottom can be factored, so I don't know what to do next. Can anyone give me a push? All I know is that I need to use separation of variables.

Hint: Your numerator can be factored:

(xy + 2y - x - 2) = y(x + 2) - (x + 2) = (x + 2)(y - 1).

Similarly in the denominator.

Oh, of course. Okay, so now I have (x+2)(y-1) on top, and (x-3)(y+1). I have separated those out. Now I have (y+1)/(y-1) dy = (x+2)/(x-3) dx. Is this the correct equation I need to solve?

Looking good so far :smile:

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve a differential equation by separating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation.

2. How do you use separation of variables to solve a differential equation?

To use separation of variables, you first need to rearrange the differential equation so that the dependent variable is on one side and the independent variable is on the other. Then, you can integrate both sides separately. This will result in a solution that is a product of two functions, one dependent on the dependent variable and the other dependent on the independent variable.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables can be used to solve first-order ordinary differential equations that are separable, meaning the variables can be separated by algebraic manipulation. It can also be used for some second-order differential equations with certain conditions.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a differential equation using separation of variables?

Sure, for example, let's say we have the differential equation dy/dx = x/y. We can separate the variables by multiplying both sides by y, which gives us ydy = xdx. Then, we can integrate both sides to get the solution y^2/2 = x^2/2 + C, where C is the constant of integration. Finally, we can solve for y to get the solution y = ±√(x^2 + C).

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using separation of variables to solve a differential equation?

One limitation is that not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. Additionally, the method may become more complex for higher-order differential equations or when the variables cannot be easily separated. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise during the process.