1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need hints on how to integrate this

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I need to evaluate the following integral with respect to x. If you guys can give me some hints on how to start off, it would be greatly appreciated.

[tex]f{x}[/tex](x) = [tex]\int\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{(-\alpha|x| - \beta|y|)}dy[/tex]

The integral is evaluate from -infinity to infinity

From this I know that [tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}[/tex] is a constant and can be taken out. I get confused on how to integrate the absolute value portion of it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    I did some manipulation and am at the following part:

[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\alpha|x|} e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]
    evaluate from -infinity to infinity

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Apr 3, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

To where you are now, evaluating the integral should be easy, noting that the remaining integrand is an even function.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4
    Figured it out. Thanks!

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    =[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]
    evaluate from -infinity to infinity

Since this is an even function, we can just multiply the function by 2 and take out the absolute value because of symmetry and taking the limits of integration accordingly.

Therefore,
    [tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|} * 2[/tex] [tex] \int e^{-\beta y} dy [/tex]
    I have attached what this graph would look like as a function of x. There is symmetry about the origin and the graph is even, so this function is even. We can just multiply the function by 2 and evaluate the integral from 0 to infinity because of the symmetry.

=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] [tex] \int e^{-\beta y} dy [/tex], evalualted from 0 to infinity.

This integral evaluates to:
    [tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] * [tex]\left(\frac{-1}{\beta}e^{-\beta y}\right)[/tex] evaluated from 0 to infinity.

[tex]e^{-\infty}[/tex] = 0
    [tex]e^{0}[/tex] = 1

[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] * (-1)(0-1)
    =[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex]

Hopefully I did this right! :smile:

Attached Files:

7. Apr 4, 2008 #6
    You know you can make LaTeX show limits of integration: [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\,dx[/tex], etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?