Need hints on how to integrate this

• Thread starter skybox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the person is asking for help evaluating an integral and is stuck on how to integrate the absolute value portion. After some manipulation and recognizing the remaining integrand as an even function, they are able to evaluate the integral by taking advantage of symmetry and the limits of integration. The final result is \frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}.
skybox
Hello,

I need to evaluate the following integral with respect to x. If you guys can give me some hints on how to start off, it would be greatly appreciated.

[tex]f{x}[/tex](x) = [tex]\int\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{(-\alpha|x| - \beta|y|)}dy[/tex]

The integral is evaluate from -infinity to infinity

From this I know that [tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}[/tex] is a constant and can be taken out. I get confused on how to integrate the absolute value portion of it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did some manipulation and am at the following part:

[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\alpha|x|} e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]
evaluate from -infinity to infinity

Last edited:
To where you are now, evaluating the integral should be easy, noting that the remaining integrand is an even function.

Figured it out. Thanks!

=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex][tex]\int e^{-\beta|y|} dy[/tex]
evaluate from -infinity to infinity

Since this is an even function, we can just multiply the function by 2 and take out the absolute value because of symmetry and taking the limits of integration accordingly.

Therefore,
[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{4}e^{-\alpha|x|} * 2[/tex] [tex] \int e^{-\beta y} dy [/tex]
I have attached what this graph would look like as a function of x. There is symmetry about the origin and the graph is even, so this function is even. We can just multiply the function by 2 and evaluate the integral from 0 to infinity because of the symmetry.

=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] [tex] \int e^{-\beta y} dy [/tex], evalualted from 0 to infinity.

This integral evaluates to:
[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] * [tex]\left(\frac{-1}{\beta}e^{-\beta y}\right)[/tex] evaluated from 0 to infinity.

[tex]e^{-\infty}[/tex] = 0
[tex]e^{0}[/tex] = 1

[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex] * (-1)(0-1)
=[tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{2}e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex]

Hopefully I did this right! :smile:

Attachments

• graph.GIF
    graph.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 430
You know you can make LaTeX show limits of integration: [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\,dx[/tex], etc.

1. How do I approach integrating this information?

To integrate information, it is important to first understand the purpose and goals of the integration. Then, gather all the relevant information and create a plan or framework for how to organize and connect the information. Finally, carefully analyze and evaluate the information to ensure it is integrated effectively.

2. What are some common challenges when integrating information?

Some common challenges when integrating information include dealing with conflicting or contradictory information, ensuring accuracy and reliability of the information, and finding ways to effectively link and connect different pieces of information.

3. How can I ensure that the integration process is successful?

To ensure a successful integration process, it is important to have a clear understanding of the purpose and goals, have a well-defined plan or framework, carefully evaluate and analyze the information, and regularly communicate and collaborate with others involved in the integration process.

4. What are some strategies for effectively integrating complex or large amounts of information?

Some strategies for effectively integrating complex or large amounts of information include breaking down the information into smaller, manageable chunks, using visual aids or diagrams to represent connections and relationships, and seeking input and collaboration from others with knowledge or expertise in the subject matter.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with the integration process?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to assist with the integration process. These include software programs for organizing and visualizing information, online databases and resources, and collaboration platforms for working with others on the integration process.