Need ideas for final year project

In summary, the conversation involved a student looking for ideas for a final year project related to cars and/or electronics. Some suggestions included N2O accelerators, powered bicycles, and electric-assist bicycles. The student also mentioned their interest in rockets and missiles, but did not want to build weapons. Some individuals discussed the potential for powered bicycles to replace cars for short commutes due to their efficiency and environmental benefits. The conversation also mentioned a forum for enthusiasts of electric vehicles. Ultimately, the student was looking for a unique and innovative idea for their project.
  • #1
saad ahmed khan
46
0
hello every one
i wanted you guys to help me
i want some ideas on what to build as a final year project
i am runnig out of ideas
the project should have something to do with cars and/or electronics
people at my univ have already designed a hybrid vehical and an efi injection kit
i want to build something entirely new
i have lots of time as i am only abt to finish my first semester
i just wanted to have an idea now so i could have lots of time to work on it

thanks to everyone who helps me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I love rockets and missles. Of course , you can't build a missle alone because it's really complex, but maybe you want to build a rocket :D
Good luck.
 
  • #3
hey man be serious
i study in am institute controlled by the navy
last thing i need is weapons
and i did say cars
 
  • #4
saad ahmed khan said:
hey man be serious
i study in am institute controlled by the navy
last thing i need is weapons
and i did say cars
Ok, sorry. I didn't know that you're working in navy.
So how about N2O accelerators? they relate to cars :)
 
  • #5
lllllllloooooooooolllllllll
not nitrous either
its common not new technology
and the conditions of the road I am my country will have only one possible outcome.......the car will remain where it is and the engine will popout and run away
 
  • #6
saad ahmed khan said:
last thing i need is weapons
and i did say cars
Cars ARE weapons. Take away the cars and the world would be a safer, more peaceful place with less stress, less death, less pollution and less separation from the natural world.

I recommend, for a project, combining electricity with a bicycle. I am currently designing a powered bicycle myself (1st year engineering). It is realistic, using current off the shelf components, to create a bicycle with an electric motor capable of 30mph+ for 100 miles+. Such a machine would not be heavy and could be capable of much higher speeds for reduced range.

If powered bicycles with decent ranges existed then many people would no longer have a valid reason to use their 500kg cars for their short daily commute. There is a major gap in the market and if people would realize the advantages of electric-assist bicycles (there are many) they would soon be queuing to make a purchase (if they are made properly).

My project is taking a long time (I started it years ago, well before I chose to attend engineering school). I recently sought to purchase an electric bike to get me to class, as traveling by train is a terrible ordeal, but I found that, still, the market has nothing suitable to offer.

My powered bicycle will have a petrol engine and an electric motor. It will have an electric range of ~100 miles with a lithium battery, and when the battery needs recharging I will use the petrol engine driving the electric motor as a generator to provide the electricity. It will also have a two-wheel-drive option (it is designed for multi-terrain), adjustable 'Hossack' suspension, and many other features (which is why it is taking me so long).

Give the idea a thought, before you write it off. Take a look at the v is for voltage forum ( http://visforvoltage.org/forum , the .org is its temporary home following a hack attack on the main .com address), that place is a haven for enthusiasts with many knowledgeable members.
 
Last edited:
  • #7
Not to discount Ascetic's idea (and it's a good one), I'm a firm adherant to the school of "What's a gallon of gas, to save a few steps?" :tongue:
There are a couple of threads running around dealing with electronic (camless) valve trains, as well as Wolram's difficulty trying to incorporate ball valves into an IC engine. Maybe something along that line...?
 
  • #8
Ascetic Anchorite said:
Cars ARE weapons. Take away the cars and the world would be a safer, more peaceful place with less stress, less death, less pollution and less separation from the natural world.

I recommend, for a project, combining electricity with a bicycle. I am currently designing a powered bicycle myself (1st year engineering). It is realistic, using current off the shelf components, to create a bicycle with an electric motor capable of 30mph+ for 100 miles+. Such a machine would not be heavy and could be capable of much higher speeds for reduced range.

If powered bicycles with decent ranges existed then many people would no longer have a valid reason to use their 500kg cars for their short daily commute. There is a major gap in the market and if people would realize the advantages of electric-assist bicycles (there are many) they would soon be queuing to make a purchase (if they are made properly).

My project is taking a long time (I started it years ago, well before I chose to attend engineering school). I recently sought to purchase an electric bike to get me to class, as traveling by train is a terrible ordeal, but I found that, still, the market has nothing suitable to offer.

My powered bicycle will have a petrol engine and an electric motor. It will have an electric range of ~100 miles with a lithium battery, and when the battery needs recharging I will use the petrol engine driving the electric motor as a generator to provide the electricity. It will also have a two-wheel-drive option (it is designed for multi-terrain), adjustable 'Hossack' suspension, and many other features (which is why it is taking me so long).

Give the idea a thought, before you write it off. Take a look at the v is for voltage forum ( http://visforvoltage.org/forum , the .org is its temporary home following a hack attack on the main .com address), that place is a haven for enthusiasts with many knowledgeable members.

nice idea
but in my country we can buy an electric scooty for abt 160-200$
it takes abt 8hrs to charge and then give abt 2-3 hrs drive time
not impressive but well that what u get for cheap
 
  • #9
Ascetic Anchorite said:
Cars ARE weapons. Take away the cars and the world would be a safer, more peaceful place with less stress, less death, less pollution and less separation from the natural world.

I recommend, for a project, combining electricity with a bicycle. I am currently designing a powered bicycle myself (1st year engineering). It is realistic, using current off the shelf components, to create a bicycle with an electric motor capable of 30mph+ for 100 miles+. Such a machine would not be heavy and could be capable of much higher speeds for reduced range.

If powered bicycles with decent ranges existed then many people would no longer have a valid reason to use their 500kg cars for their short daily commute. There is a major gap in the market and if people would realize the advantages of electric-assist bicycles (there are many) they would soon be queuing to make a purchase (if they are made properly).

My project is taking a long time (I started it years ago, well before I chose to attend engineering school). I recently sought to purchase an electric bike to get me to class, as traveling by train is a terrible ordeal, but I found that, still, the market has nothing suitable to offer.

My powered bicycle will have a petrol engine and an electric motor. It will have an electric range of ~100 miles with a lithium battery, and when the battery needs recharging I will use the petrol engine driving the electric motor as a generator to provide the electricity. It will also have a two-wheel-drive option (it is designed for multi-terrain), adjustable 'Hossack' suspension, and many other features (which is why it is taking me so long).

Give the idea a thought, before you write it off. Take a look at the v is for voltage forum ( http://visforvoltage.org/forum , the .org is its temporary home following a hack attack on the main .com address), that place is a haven for enthusiasts with many knowledgeable members.

Wooo. A hybrid Moped. Hopefully you'll keep the pedals too.
 
  • #10
FredGarvin said:
Hopefully you'll keep the pedals too.

Absolutely. I would not wish to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with engine trouble / no power. Pedals are a massive advantage. If cars were power-assist machines with an HPV (human powered vehicle) element, obesity and heart disease rates would not be so severe!
 
  • #11
ditto to that
 
  • #12
saad ahmed khan i have an idea.I was thinking for ways how to recycle the energy that the vehicles spend, a kind of "PERPETUMOBILE".Example electro-aerodynamic vehicle that in one way spends energy(electricity) and in other way that energy that we spend we can recycle by adding a aerodynamic system which will provide non-stop electricity that will be accumulated in batteries.Generally is the idea to implement two systems of energy that will fill each one non-stop,a cycling procces.My english is awfull so I can expres good.I hope you will understand a bit of this I've wrote.I wish you the best in your final project and I believe that you will do the right chose and a big succes.
 
  • #13
  • #14
One obvious area that would be suitable for this piezoelectric, parasitic electrical generation technology would be bicycles (non-assist in particular). The same technology used in the electric shoes could be applied to bicycle tires. It could be used to power LED night-lights, or a battery. Apparently 8 watts could be generated from the electric shoes, so in tyres I would imagine even more power is possible. Decent LED lights would only need about 5 or 6 watts anyway. I would like to see this done. I bet if 'electric tyres' were available for bicycles they would sell in the hundreds of thousands. Damn, I am sounding like a blood-sucking capitalist!


http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/pictures/239.pic.jpg

http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/science-technology/power-your-ipod-with-your-feet
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #15
It would be a lot easier to just mount a generator on the rim like we did when I was a kid. :rolleyes:
 
  • #16
Ascetic Anchorite, my idea is to design a aero-dinamic system in bottom of the car,ventilation, one big ventilator and lots of small ventillators(I don't know how are called in English,simililar like WindMill) that will be in work continuosly during the car moves.in direct propotion with the speed of the car the ventillators will provide more electricity.Im thinking for a complex system,with a lots of chambers.This is only idea,I guess It works,Im not sure. I am new in mechanical engineering,1st year,1 semester,only 1 month.Buy
 
  • #17
Danger said:
It would be a lot easier to just mount a generator on the rim like we did when I was a kid. :rolleyes:

But that is very inefficient, and on a human powered vehicle efficiency is the key.

Piezoelectric components positioned inside the tyres could generate electricity without adding to the burden of the rider / peddler. They use energy that would otherwise be lost as heat through rolling resistance. They do not create an extra workload, unlike the rim-mounted dynamos of old.
 
  • #18
rigon said:
Ascetic Anchorite, my idea is to design a aero-dinamic system in bottom of the car,ventilation, one big ventilator and lots of small ventillators(I don't know how are called in English,simililar like WindMill) that will be in work continuosly during the car moves.in direct propotion with the speed of the car the ventillators will provide more electricity.Im thinking for a complex system,with a lots of chambers.This is only idea,I guess It works,Im not sure. I am new in mechanical engineering,1st year,1 semester,only 1 month.Buy


I know your idea is different to what I wrote. You just reminded me of the Baylis invention, that was all.

If I understand your idea correctly then it will add to the workload of the car. The turbines will create extra drag resulting in loss of power and increased fuel consumption. The piezoelectric idea simply utilizes energy that otherwise would be lost as heat.
 
  • #19
Maybe it's just my lack of education, but I don't see how your thermal losses can be recovered by piezo transducers. You would need thermionic converters or thermocouples for that. Piezo units might recover some of your rolling resistance, but that resistance won't exist in useful amounts if your tires are firmly inflated. The reason that the shoes work is because there's an impact load; tires don't have that. You would have to rely upon deformation of the rubber. In a firm tire, the only way that you could do that would be to have the transducers in any knobs that the tires might have. On top of that, you have to have some sort of slip-ring arrangement to get the electricity from the tire to the rest of the system.
If you're going to go to all of that trouble, and don't want to have the drag of a mechanically linked generator, why not just load the tire with magnets and mount a pick-up coil on the forks? Either way, you're going to get a pulsed output.
 
  • #20
rigon said:
saad ahmed khan i have an idea.I was thinking for ways how to recycle the energy that the vehicles spend, a kind of "PERPETUMOBILE".Example electro-aerodynamic vehicle that in one way spends energy(electricity) and in other way that energy that we spend we can recycle by adding a aerodynamic system which will provide non-stop electricity that will be accumulated in batteries.Generally is the idea to implement two systems of energy that will fill each one non-stop,a cycling procces.My english is awfull so I can expres good.I hope you will understand a bit of this I've wrote.I wish you the best in your final project and I believe that you will do the right chose and a big succes.

i have already thought about that
but what u are proposing is impossible because perpetual motion cannot be created ther will alway be some losses in energy
the most that we can do is elongate the amount of energy we get but we will definitely not get an infinite amount of energy.
 
  • #21
guys this piezo electronic stuff is micro scopic way too tiny
its like those sensors that come in some very expensive car tyres that can warn in advance of any blowout
engine is what i am talking about
car engines
people at my univ already made the hybrid vehicle and a fuel injecton system other wise i would most definately have gone for the hybrid vehical
 
  • #22
saad ahmed khan I know that, infinite is not possible(but I am not so sure,I believe that exists,but I haven't proff in practise,but not for cars,only for ) but this type is quite suitable for elongating the energy.I thought to implement an aero-dinamic system in the bottom of the car,complicated,that contains other subsytems which during the car motion they work non-stop and provide more electricity that will fill with electricity the batteries.More speed more electricity.You need only the first time to fill the batteries and all is done.I don't have very knowledge,Im learning,also like you I am in 1-st year,first semester,Mechatronics.You what field you study?I believe you will understand me and my english.Thanks
 
  • #23
Ascetic Anchorite said:
I know your idea is different to what I wrote. You just reminded me of the Baylis invention, that was all.

If I understand your idea correctly then it will add to the workload of the car. The turbines will create extra drag resulting in loss of power and increased fuel consumption. The piezoelectric idea simply utilizes energy that otherwise would be lost as heat.

yes but I am talking about electric cars.Im not sure either, its only idea.
 
  • #24
You could build a two stroke engine that uses the heating and cooling of mercury.
 
  • #25
Or a Sterling engine; an engine that works through heating and cooling? Maybe combine this idea of using mercury with one?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=sterling+engine&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Or, further to the cooling / heating idea, how about something that takes tiny amounts of heat from the ambient environment (or the earth, or even lakes, etc.) and, through a heat exchanger, can provide great amounts of heat? When such a thing is combined with a heat engine the results are amazing. Such systems are able to operate in winter temperatures of minus 20 degrees Celsius, and lower.
 
  • #26
There are cars that run on compressed air, flywheel energy, and any number of exotic or standard biofuels... maybe you could experiment with a new fuel of some kind...

How does this work? How do you get your materials and cover the expenses? There must be some limits involved here. The first question that comes to mind for me is: How much do you have to spend? Next, what are your resources? Given an unlimted budget, I could come up with all sorts of ideas.
 
  • #27
A stealth car.
 
  • #28
Maybe alternative drives for vehicles. Like recently 2-wheel-drive dirtbikes have started to show up at certain kinds of races. They use hydraulic drive for the front wheel (not sure about the back). Building a hydraulic-drive scooter or motorcycle would make for a pretty cool project.
 
  • #29
berkeman said:
Maybe alternative drives for vehicles. Like recently 2-wheel-drive dirtbikes have started to show up at certain kinds of races. They use hydraulic drive for the front wheel (not sure about the back). Building a hydraulic-drive scooter or motorcycle would make for a pretty cool project.

My powered bicycle design is for a two-wheel-drive bike. I will be using an inverted chain, homokinetic joints, bevel gears and drive shafts (including telescopic shafts) in order to transmit drive to the front wheel. It will even have a choice of differential ratios.

The compressed air powered car is a good idea. There are actual compressed air powered taxis operating in Europe (and have been for years). Also there are a few compressed air motorcycles in existence (if anyone would like a link, let me know and I will dig a few up). I investigated using compressed air as a power source for my bike, but after doing the math’s it turned out not to be feasible (owing to the range I need and problems of recharging the air tanks in the middle of remote wilderness).
 
  • #31
what are your interests?
what field(s) do you want to work in after graduation?

what recent advances have there been in that field? (google scholar, and doaj.org are very useful. Your school's library probably also has access to non-free journals.

of these advances, which would you like to extrapolate on?

What is your dream-widget (the invention/development that you want to give the world before you die)? Can you take steps towards that?

What phenomena/development do you know very well (can you explain something inside and out to a non-technical person?)
 
  • #32
Can anyone suggest me final year project ideas ... i m interested to do a project in renewable engg. . i already proposed a solar welder but it is not working since the time to get that much amount of heat and the accuracy were not recommendable. . so any ideas relating to renewable engg is most welcomed...:)
 

1. What are some good sources for project ideas?

Some good sources for project ideas include scientific journals, online databases, and research conferences. You can also talk to your professors, peers, and industry experts for potential project ideas.

2. How do I choose a project topic that aligns with my interests and skills?

Start by identifying your interests and strengths in your field of study. Then, research different project topics that relate to your interests and skills. You can also consult with your advisor or mentor for guidance on choosing a topic that aligns with your goals.

3. Can I collaborate with other students on a final year project?

Yes, collaborating with other students on a final year project is a great way to share ideas, divide workload, and learn from each other's strengths. However, make sure to communicate and establish clear expectations and roles with your group members.

4. How do I ensure that my project is original and not already done?

To ensure that your project is original, you can start by conducting a literature review to see what research has already been done in your field. You can also consult with your advisor or mentor to get their input on the novelty of your project idea.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a final year project?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a final year project include the feasibility of the project, the availability of resources and equipment, the potential impact of the project, and the relevance to current research in your field. It's also important to choose a project that aligns with your career goals and interests.

Similar threads

  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
5
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
609
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
5
Views
941
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
8
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
862
Replies
1
Views
42
Back
Top