1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need ideas for final year project

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    hello every one
    i wanted you guys to help me
    i want some ideas on what to build as a final year project
    i am runnig out of ideas
    the project should have something to do with cars and/or electronics
    people at my univ have already designed a hybrid vehical and an efi injection kit
    i want to build something entirely new
    i have lots of time as i am only abt to finish my first semester
    i just wanted to have an idea now so i could have lots of time to work on it

thanks to everyone who helps me
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2
    I love rockets and missles. Of course , you can't build a missle alone because it's really complex, but maybe you want to build a rocket :D
    Good luck.
  4. Nov 24, 2006 #3
    hey man be serious
    i study in am institute controlled by the navy
    last thing i need is weapons
    and i did say cars
  5. Nov 24, 2006 #4
    Ok, sorry. I didn't know that you're working in navy.
    So how about N2O accelerators? they relate to cars :)
  6. Nov 24, 2006 #5
    not nitrous either
    its common not new technology
    and the conditions of the road im my country will have only one possible outcome.............................the car will remain where it is and the engine will popout and run away
  7. Nov 25, 2006 #6

Cars ARE weapons. Take away the cars and the world would be a safer, more peaceful place with less stress, less death, less pollution and less separation from the natural world.

I recommend, for a project, combining electricity with a bicycle. I am currently designing a powered bicycle myself (1st year engineering). It is realistic, using current off the shelf components, to create a bicycle with an electric motor capable of 30mph+ for 100 miles+. Such a machine would not be heavy and could be capable of much higher speeds for reduced range.

If powered bicycles with decent ranges existed then many people would no longer have a valid reason to use their 500kg cars for their short daily commute. There is a major gap in the market and if people would realise the advantages of electric-assist bicycles (there are many) they would soon be queuing to make a purchase (if they are made properly).

My project is taking a long time (I started it years ago, well before I chose to attend engineering school). I recently sought to purchase an electric bike to get me to class, as traveling by train is a terrible ordeal, but I found that, still, the market has nothing suitable to offer.

My powered bicycle will have a petrol engine and an electric motor. It will have an electric range of ~100 miles with a lithium battery, and when the battery needs recharging I will use the petrol engine driving the electric motor as a generator to provide the electricity. It will also have a two-wheel-drive option (it is designed for multi-terrain), adjustable 'Hossack' suspension, and many other features (which is why it is taking me so long).

Give the idea a thought, before you write it off. Take a look at the v is for voltage forum ( http://visforvoltage.org/forum , the .org is its temporary home following a hack attack on the main .com address), that place is a haven for enthusiasts with many knowledgeable members.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  8. Nov 25, 2006 #7

Gold Member

Not to discount Ascetic's idea (and it's a good one), I'm a firm adherant to the school of "What's a gallon of gas, to save a few steps?" :tongue:
    There are a couple of threads running around dealing with electronic (camless) valve trains, as well as Wolram's difficulty trying to incorporate ball valves into an IC engine. Maybe something along that line...?
  9. Nov 25, 2006 #8
    nice idea
    but in my country we can buy an electric scooty for abt 160-200$
    it takes abt 8hrs to charge and then give abt 2-3 hrs drive time
    not impressive but well that what u get for cheap
  10. Nov 25, 2006 #9

Science Advisor

Wooo. A hybrid Moped. Hopefully you'll keep the pedals too.
  11. Nov 25, 2006 #10
    Absolutely. I would not wish to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with engine trouble / no power. Pedals are a massive advantage. If cars were power-assist machines with an HPV (human powered vehicle) element, obesity and heart disease rates would not be so severe!
  12. Nov 25, 2006 #11
    ditto to that
  13. Nov 25, 2006 #12
    saad ahmed khan i have an idea.I was thinking for ways how to recycle the energy that the vehicles spend, a kind of "PERPETUMOBILE".Example electro-aerodynamic vehicle that in one way spends energy(electricity) and in other way that energy that we spend we can recycle by adding a aerodynamic system which will provide non-stop electricity that will be accumulated in batteries.Generally is the idea to implement two systems of energy that will fill each one non-stop,a cycling procces.My english is awfull so I can expres good.I hope you will understand a bit of this I've wrote.I wish you the best in your final project and I belive that you will do the right chose and a big succes.
  14. Nov 25, 2006 #13
  15. Nov 25, 2006 #14
    One obvious area that would be suitable for this piezoelectric, parasitic electrical generation technology would be bicycles (non-assist in particular). The same technology used in the electric shoes could be applied to bicycle tires. It could be used to power LED night-lights, or a battery. Apparently 8 watts could be generated from the electric shoes, so in tyres I would imagine even more power is possible. Decent LED lights would only need about 5 or 6 watts anyway. I would like to see this done. I bet if 'electric tyres' were available for bicycles they would sell in the hundreds of thousands. Damn, I am sounding like a blood-sucking capitalist!

16. Nov 25, 2006 #15

Gold Member

It would be a lot easier to just mount a generator on the rim like we did when I was a kid. :rolleyes:
  17. Nov 25, 2006 #16
    Ascetic Anchorite, my idea is to design a aero-dinamic system in bottom of the car,ventilation, one big ventilator and lots of small ventillators(I dont know how are called in English,simililar like WindMill) that will be in work continuosly during the car moves.in direct propotion with the speed of the car the ventillators will provide more electricity.Im thinking for a complex system,with a lots of chambers.This is only idea,I guess It works,Im not sure. Im new in mechanical engineering,1st year,1 semester,only 1 month.Buy
  18. Nov 25, 2006 #17
    But that is very inefficient, and on a human powered vehicle efficiency is the key.

Piezoelectric components positioned inside the tyres could generate electricity without adding to the burden of the rider / peddler. They use energy that would otherwise be lost as heat through rolling resistance. They do not create an extra workload, unlike the rim-mounted dynamos of old.
  19. Nov 25, 2006 #18

I know your idea is different to what I wrote. You just reminded me of the Baylis invention, that was all.

If I understand your idea correctly then it will add to the workload of the car. The turbines will create extra drag resulting in loss of power and increased fuel consumption. The piezoelectric idea simply utilizes energy that otherwise would be lost as heat.
  20. Nov 25, 2006 #19

Gold Member

Maybe it's just my lack of education, but I don't see how your thermal losses can be recovered by piezo transducers. You would need thermionic converters or thermocouples for that. Piezo units might recover some of your rolling resistance, but that resistance won't exist in useful amounts if your tires are firmly inflated. The reason that the shoes work is because there's an impact load; tires don't have that. You would have to rely upon deformation of the rubber. In a firm tire, the only way that you could do that would be to have the transducers in any knobs that the tires might have. On top of that, you have to have some sort of slip-ring arrangement to get the electricity from the tire to the rest of the system.
    If you're going to go to all of that trouble, and don't want to have the drag of a mechanically linked generator, why not just load the tire with magnets and mount a pick-up coil on the forks? Either way, you're going to get a pulsed output.
  21. Nov 26, 2006 #20
    i have already thought about that
    but what u are proposing is impossible because perpetual motion cannot be created ther will alway be some losses in energy
    the most that we can do is elongate the amount of energy we get but we will definitely not get an infinite amount of energy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?