Need some clarification for a latent heat related problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of water in a heat exchanger at a nuclear power plant and the calculation of how many kilograms of water are needed per kilogram of steam. The correct formulas are used to solve the problem, resulting in a more accurate answer than the one listed in the book. The effect of pressure changes on the steam is also mentioned, with the explanation that higher pressure increases the boiling point of water.
Byrgg
Ok, I don't really need to know because it's something I've been told to ignore in the text, but I'm curious about it anyway, here goes:

At a nuclear power plant, water at 8 deg. celsius from a nearby lake is used in a heat exchanger to condense spent steam, at a temperature of 120 deg. celsius, to water, at 85 deg. celsius before it is recycled into the reactor. If the cooling water returns to the lake at a temperature of 19.deg celsius, how many kg of water are needed per kg of steam? Ignore the pressure changes on the steam.

Here's how I solved it, could you tell me if I'm right?

Q_gained(1) = -Q_lost(2)

Q_1 = mcT (for the water)
Q_2 = mcT + ml + mcT (for the steam)

specific heat capacity of water is 4200
specific heat capacity of steam is 2000
latent heat of vapourization of water is 2255000

mcT = -(mcT + ml + mcT)

m(4200)(19-8) = -(m(2000)(100-120) + m(2255000) + m(2000)(85-100))

m46200 = -(m(-40000) + m(2255000) + m(-3000))
m46200 = m4000 - m2255000 + m3000

divide both sides by m2... (mass of the steam)

m1(46200)/m2 = 4000 - 2255000 + 3000

divide both sides by 462000...

m1/m2 = (4000 - 2255000 + 3000)/46200
m1/m2 = 48.66

Therefore the ratio of water to steam is 48.66, the book says 50, if I followed the significant figures than I would've acheived 50 I'm pretty sure so, I'm confident I did that right does it look ok? But now here's what I want to know:

I want to know exactly how the pressure changes in the steam would affect the answer(considering it told me to ignore them).

Thanks in advance, someone please respond soon :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please help.

Byrgg said:
Someone please help.
As for the calculations they seem to be right, as you have used the correct formulas to solve it.Your answer may be a more accurate answer as oppose to the one listed in the book. The pressure of the steam would differ the result of the calculation because a higher pressure would result in there being more steam in a set volume, than the same volume measured at a lower pressure. Therefore, since there is more steam in an environment with a higher pressure, less kinetic energy needs to be removed before the steam turns back to water because the pressure has raised the boiling point of water, i.e, the water now boils at a higher temperature.
Pavadrin

Ok thanks for the help. So basically, the I would have to use a different boiling point if I didn't ignore the pressure changes in the steam?

Byrgg said:
Ok thanks for the help. So basically, the I would have to use a different boiling point if I didn't ignore the pressure changes in the steam?
Correct.
Pavadrin

Oh, also, increasing the pressure, increases the boiling point? Because in a high pressure system, the substance is already closer to reaching a liquid(since liquids are more dense than their gas counterpart)? Did I get that right?

Yes increasing the pressure increases the boiling point, as the pressure is the external force which is pushing the steam particles together. When a substance boils, the particles have gained enough kinetic energy to break free from the external pressure. An example of this is seen when water boils at sea level at 100 degrees Celsius, however mountaineers at the top of Mt. Everest experience the water boil at approximately 70 degrees Celsius, as there is less atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes.
Pavadrin.

Just further to what pavardrin said, a substance will boil when there some of the molecules in a substance have enough thermal (kinetic) energy to overcome the intermolecular forces within the substance. A useful definition of boiling point is, "the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the pressure of the surroundings." which is basically what pavadrin said above.

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of heat energy that is required to change the state of a substance, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas, without changing its temperature.

2. How is latent heat related to phase changes?

During phase changes, the energy is used to break the bonds between particles in order to change the arrangement of the particles. This results in a change in the substance's state, but not its temperature. This energy is known as latent heat.

3. Can you provide an example of latent heat in action?

A common example of latent heat is when water is boiled on a stove. The heat energy from the stove is used to break the bonds between the water molecules, causing the liquid water to turn into water vapor. This process requires energy, which is why the water does not boil until it reaches its boiling point.

4. What is the difference between latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid, while the latent heat of vaporization is the amount of energy required to change a substance from liquid to gas. Both processes involve breaking bonds between particles, but the amount of energy required is different.

5. How is latent heat related to specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Latent heat is not related to temperature change, but rather to phase changes. However, specific heat capacity can be used to calculate the amount of latent heat required for a phase change.