Need some help: Reading a Velocity versus time graph

In summary, the conversation revolves around a member being warned about posting low-quality questions and asking for help in understanding a graph that shows velocity and acceleration over time. The member is initially confused about which points represent the greatest velocity and acceleration on the graph, but with guidance, they come to understand that the highest point on the graph represents the greatest velocity and the steepest slope represents the greatest acceleration. The conversation also touches upon the definitions of distance, velocity, and acceleration and how they are related on a graph.
Ayesha Shafique
Member warned about posting questions of substandard quality (no effort shown and image upside down).
1. At which points are velocity and acceleration the greatest?2. Please check the attachment to see the graph.3. I tried to solve it but i couldn't get to any conclusion.
20150530_141253.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have circled two answer. Which do you think is correct and why?

CWatters said:
You have circled two answer. Which do you think is correct and why?
I have not circled these answers. This page is not mine I have taken it from someone for practice.

Graph is velocity-time graph.For max velocity we need to think wheres the max point in the graph.For accelaration we need to think "In which point the derivative of function gets max value ?"

ArmanCham said:
Graph is velocity-time graph.For max velocity we need to think wheres the max point in the graph.For accelaration we need to think "In which point the derivative of function gets max value ?"
But what will be the answer

Look the graph.Max velocity means (theres a "x" point which "y" get max value)
Accelarations means "theres a point which we drove a slope in that point we get max value" I can't give you the answer its forbidden I guess.And you can think it.You can understand better If you think yourself.

So
ArmanCham said:
Look the graph.Max velocity means (theres a "x" point which "y" get max value)
Accelarations means "theres a point which we drove a slope in that point we get max value" I can't give you the answer its forbidden I guess.And you can think it.You can understand better If you think yourself.
Then the answer is from R to T that is option B.

T is correct but R is not corect look again

ArmanCham said:
T is correct but R is not corect look again
S to t that is option c

Thats right

Ayesha Shafique said:
S to t that is option c
I don't know what you mean by "S to T". The question is asking for two points answering two questions, not for an interval. Since the graph is of "velocity versus time" the greatest velocity is where the graph is highest. What point is that? Since the problem has "Velocity Acceleration" in that order, this point should be first. The greatest acceleration occurs where the graph is steepest. That's not quite so obvious but still should be fairly easy to see. That point is second. "C" is NOT correct.

I didnt see that first point will be velocity and second will be accelaration .The answer is A I am so so sorry.I miss it

Last edited:
I said " the greatest velocity is where the graph is highest." If you believe that point R is where the graph is highest then you do not know how to read a graph. You need to talk to your teacher about this because he/she is assuming you have a skill that you do not have.

HallsofIvy said:
I said " the greatest velocity is where the graph is highest." If you believe that point R is where the graph is highest then you do not know how to read a graph. You need to talk to your teacher about this because he/she is assuming you have a skill that you do not have.
Thanks for your guidance but I would like to inform you that I am only 14 years old and have just started to study physics. I was a bit confused with question because I hadn't studied yet how to figure out where the acceleration is highest in a graph. I guess i am allowed to make mistakes because I didn't know about this and therefore I asked for the help. Please be sure before saying something about anyone. Anyways thanks for your help and guidance now I have come to know what this means.

Have a think about the definitions of Distance, Velocity and Acceleration and how they are related...

Velocity = ΔDistance/ΔTime

So on a graph showing distance vs time the slope of the line at any point is the velocity.

Acceleration = ΔVelocity/ΔTime

So on a graph of Velocity vs time the slope of the line at any point is the acceleration.

So on your graph where is the slope at a maximum?

Ayesha Shafique said:
Thanks for your guidance but I would like to inform you that I am only 14 years old and have just started to study physics. I was a bit confused with question because I hadn't studied yet how to figure out where the acceleration is highest in a graph. I guess i am allowed to make mistakes because I didn't know about this and therefore I asked for the help. Please be sure before saying something about anyone. Anyways thanks for your help and guidance now I have come to know what this means.
Then you should not have claimed to be 18 on your profile. We value honesty on this forum.

1. What is a velocity versus time graph?

A velocity versus time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over a period of time. It shows how the velocity changes over time and can provide information about the direction and speed of an object's motion.

2. How do I read a velocity versus time graph?

To read a velocity versus time graph, look at the y-axis to determine the velocity and the x-axis to determine the time. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a larger acceleration. The direction of the line also indicates the direction of the object's motion.

3. How can I use a velocity versus time graph to calculate the distance traveled?

To calculate the distance traveled using a velocity versus time graph, you can use the formula: distance = velocity x time. This means that the area under the line on the graph represents the distance traveled. You can also calculate the distance traveled by finding the total area between the line and the x-axis.

4. What does a flat line on a velocity versus time graph mean?

A flat line on a velocity versus time graph means that the object is not moving and has a constant velocity of zero. This can also indicate that the object is at rest.

5. How do I interpret the shape of a velocity versus time graph?

The shape of a velocity versus time graph can tell you a lot about the object's motion. A straight line with a positive slope indicates a constant positive acceleration, while a straight line with a negative slope indicates a constant negative acceleration. A curved line can indicate changing acceleration, with a steeper curve indicating a larger change in acceleration.