Need some Pre-Calculus books recommendation

In summary, the conversation discusses the best options for refreshing pre-calculus skills. One option is the "Pre-Calculus Workbook for Dummies 2nd edition," but the group agrees that there are better options such as the online ALEKS pre-calculus course and textbooks like "Precalculus: A Right Triangle Approach" by Lial/Hornsby and "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley. The recommended books for geometry are "Principles of Mathematics" by Bacte, "Jacobs Geometry," and "Edwin E. Moise Geometry."
Donello
Hi,I am starting my EE degree next year in October and need some refreshment for Pre-calculus.

I am considering the book "Pre-Calculus workbook for dummies 2nd edition".
What do you think about it? Any better choices ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of no better approach than the online ALEKS pre-calculus course. It is smart enough to identify your strengths and weaknesses and give you more practice in the areas you need it most.

I would avoid the "For Dummies" series of books, there are much better options out there (though admittedly textbooks will cost you a lot more).

I used Precalculus: A Right Triangle Approach by Lial/Hornsby, and it had great coverage of material and hundreds of exercises for every section. It also explains how many of the sections will be applicable to calculus.

I have heard nothing but good things about the ALEKS pre-calculus course Dr. Courtney referred to as well.

"fundamentals of freshman mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley has a clear and informative presentation of the pre-calculus and some topics of calculus. Another good book is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and "Precalculus in a Nutshell" by G. Simmons.

Oakley is a good choice, is the book you recommended Bacte, the same as Principles Of Mathematics? I own a copy of Principles.

For geometry, which in a calculus class, which typically consist of Stewart. Geometry is not necessarily needed, just the results of the proofs. Usually ratios etc.

But if you want to learn geometry, I would recommended Jacobs Geometry and Edwin E. Moise Geometry. Both are great books, Jacobs is a lot easier than Moise, but Moise makes the subject come alive.

1. What are some good pre-calculus books for beginners?

Some good pre-calculus books for beginners include "Pre-Calculus for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Barron's E-Z Pre-Calculus" by Lawrence S. Leff, and "Pre-Calculus Demystified" by Rhonda Huettenmueller.

2. Are there any pre-calculus books that focus on visual learning?

Yes, there are several pre-calculus books that use visual aids to help students understand the concepts better. Some examples are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Precalculus with Limits" by Ron Larson.

3. Are there any pre-calculus books with practice problems and solutions?

Yes, many pre-calculus books come with practice problems and solutions to help students practice and apply the concepts they have learned. Some examples include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: A Concise Course" by Ron Larson, and "Pre-Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin.

4. Can you recommend a pre-calculus book with real-life applications?

Yes, there are several pre-calculus books that include real-life applications to help students see the practical uses of the concepts they are learning. Some examples are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Precalculus with Limits" by Ron Larson.

5. What is the best pre-calculus book for self-study?

The best pre-calculus book for self-study may vary depending on the individual's learning style and needs. Some popular options for self-study include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Pre-Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin.