1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some Pre-Calculus books recommendation

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am starting my EE degree next year in October and need some refreshment for Pre-calculus.

I am considering the book "Pre-Calculus workbook for dummies 2nd edition".
    What do you think about it? Any better choices ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2
    I can think of no better approach than the online ALEKS pre-calculus course. It is smart enough to identify your strengths and weaknesses and give you more practice in the areas you need it most.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3
    I would avoid the "For Dummies" series of books, there are much better options out there (though admittedly textbooks will cost you a lot more).

I used Precalculus: A Right Triangle Approach by Lial/Hornsby, and it had great coverage of material and hundreds of exercises for every section. It also explains how many of the sections will be applicable to calculus.

I have heard nothing but good things about the ALEKS pre-calculus course Dr. Courtney referred to as well.

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4
    "fundamentals of freshman mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley has a clear and informative presentation of the pre-calculus and some topics of calculus. Another good book is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and "Precalculus in a Nutshell" by G. Simmons.

6. Dec 4, 2015 #5
    Oakley is a good choice, is the book you recommended Bacte, the same as Principles Of Mathematics? I own a copy of Principles.

For geometry, which in a calculus class, which typically consist of Stewart. Geometry is not necessarily needed, just the results of the proofs. Usually ratios etc.

But if you want to learn geometry, I would recommended Jacobs Geometry and Edwin E. Moise Geometry. Both are great books, Jacobs is a lot easier than Moise, but Moise makes the subject come alive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted