Need suggestion on an MIT OCW material

In summary, the individual is seeking help understanding why the upper limit of integration over "r" is infinity in the MIT open course material on Electric field page #16 by Prof Markus Zahn. The conversation includes a link to the material and a discussion about potential errors in the link and the placement of the thread. It is suggested that the question may actually pertain to page 63, where integration is used to find the total charge, and the charge distribution extends to infinity in all directions. The conversation ends with a thank you and a correction of the link provided.
kamaljit
Hi i would be glad if someone can help me on this.
I am having a bit of trouble in understanding why the upper limit of integration over "r" is infinity in the MIT open course material on Electric field page #16 by Prof Markus Zahn (material attached as a link to the pdf). Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Link to MIT oc material:
http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-6-002-electromagnetic-field-theory-a-probl%20em-solving-approach-spring-2008/textbook-contents/chapter2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Almost impossible to know what you mean when the link doesn't work and page 16 doesn't have any integral in it at all.

I'm guessing you perhaps meant page page 63 where he integrate to get the total charge? In that case the charge distribution extends to infinity (in all directions) so to get the total charge you need to integrate over the entire volume (i.e. infinity).

I also suspect your thread is posted in the wrong section.

Likes kamaljit
Thank you for your quick reply and sorry that 1. the link isn't working (i copied the link correctly but somehow it is not working) and 2. about posting in the wrong section...

You got a space in "pro blem" in your link. This should be the correct one
http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-6-002-electromagnetic-field-theory-a-problem-solving-approach-spring-2008/textbook-contents/chapter2.pdf
I didn't spot it either at first but I found the course on ocw site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kamaljit
thank you for this correction.

Incand said:
I also suspect your thread is posted in the wrong section.

I've moved it. Cheers!

Likes kamaljit

What is MIT OCW?

MIT OCW stands for Massachusetts Institute of Technology OpenCourseWare. It is a web-based platform that provides free access to course materials from MIT undergraduate and graduate courses.

How can I access MIT OCW materials?

You can access MIT OCW materials by visiting the MIT OCW website (https://ocw.mit.edu/). From there, you can browse courses by department, topic, or course number. All materials are available for free and can be accessed by anyone with an internet connection.

Can I earn a degree from MIT OCW?

No, MIT OCW does not offer degrees or certificates. It is purely a platform for accessing course materials.

What types of materials are available on MIT OCW?

MIT OCW offers a wide range of materials, including lecture notes, videos, assignments, exams, and more. These materials are provided by instructors and cover a variety of subjects such as engineering, science, humanities, and business.

Can I use MIT OCW materials for my own research or teaching?

Yes, MIT OCW materials are available under a Creative Commons license, which allows for reuse and adaptation for non-commercial purposes. However, you must give proper attribution and follow the guidelines outlined in the license.