Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Suggestions For An Experiment - Upper Division Undergraduate

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1

During the spring semester of school that is just beginning I will be a junior in physics at the University of Minnesota. I'm taking a physics class called Methods of Experimental Physics II in which for the majority of the semester groups of two will be working on an approved experiment of their choice and I'm looking for suggestions. We have access to use most parts and materials in storage at the physics department here which is a pretty large supply. There will be ten weeks of time for working on the project with two people working on it.

My lab partner and I were already considering nuclear magnetic resonance, sonoluminescence, and possibly something to do with a superconductor. However, we still are no where near sure of what to work on so suggestions would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Does the sun rotate as a rigid body?
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3

Homework Helper

Don't you have questions that you want to investigate? Why are you doing a physics degree?
  5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    Well I tried to convince the professor to let me do something with simple nuclear fusion, but he thought that too big of a project for the ten weeks. I think we've pretty much decided on the sonoluminescence because of it's awesomeness. I'm doing a physics degree because I want to learn about everything. I realized that pretty impossible and decided physics was the closest I could get. If I wasn't going to learn about everything I decided physics just seemed to be the best for advancing things at least. Sonoluminescence has many mysteries still (not that other things don't) and seems like something that would still be doable for our level in ten weeks. Thanks though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?