Negative acceleration, deceleration and decreasing acceleration

In summary, decreasing acceleration, deceleration, and negative acceleration all refer to different types of acceleration. Decreasing acceleration can mean either slowing down or changing the direction of the acceleration. Deceleration often means slowing down, but negative acceleration can also mean an acceleration in the negative direction.
Celluhh
What is the difference between decreasing acceleration, deceleration and negative acceleration? Most importantly, i want to clarify that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, it Does not necessarily mean that the car velocity is increasing and that a car is speeding up when it is said to be accelerating right?

Decreasing acceleration can occur in both the positive ad negative direction, for example braking is a form of decreasing acceleration in the positive direction, right? In this case I am Not referring to a positive change in acceleration, but a decrease in velocity which is decreasing at a decreasing rate in the positive direction. DA can also be applied in the negative direction., in this case moving backwards is considered as negative, where the car reverses back at a velocity whic is decreasing at a decreasing rate , or increasing at a decreasing rate.
Negative acceleration is acceleration in the negative direction, right? It doesn't necessarily mean a negative change in acceleration right ? It can mean that a car is moving in the negative direction but it's velocity is increasing in the negative direction, right?
Which brings me on to the next question, what is deceleration? Deceleration is when the car's speed is decreasing, and the car can be moving both forward or backwards , right? Please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong and state your opinions to help me be able to visualise better for different situations and circumstances! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Celluhh said:
What is the difference between decreasing acceleration, deceleration and negative acceleration? Most importantly, i want to clarify that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, it Does not necessarily mean that the car velocity is increasing and that a car is speeding up when it is said to be accelerating right?
While the term acceleration has a precise definition, I don't think the other terms do. Acceleration can involve speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

Deceleration is often used to mean slowing down. Negative acceleration can simply mean an acceleration in the negative direction. Decreasing acceleration might mean changing the acceleration in the negative direction or simply that the magnitude of the acceleration is decreasing. You'd have to consider the context in which each of those terms might be used.

Yup ok but so far my concepts of the terms are correct right !

Braking might not represent decreasing acceleration, it would represent decreasing velocity, but the magnitude of acceleration might increase, decrease or stay the same.

Ah yes. I agree with you.☺

1. What is negative acceleration?

Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, is a decrease in the velocity of an object over time. It occurs when the object is slowing down, either due to a force acting in the opposite direction of its motion or due to a decrease in the force propelling the object forward.

2. How is negative acceleration different from positive acceleration?

Negative acceleration is the opposite of positive acceleration, which is an increase in the velocity of an object over time. Positive acceleration occurs when the object is speeding up, either due to a force acting in the same direction as its motion or due to an increase in the force propelling the object forward.

3. What is the difference between deceleration and decreasing acceleration?

Deceleration is a type of negative acceleration that refers specifically to a decrease in speed over time. On the other hand, decreasing acceleration refers to a decrease in the rate at which an object's velocity is changing. This means that an object can have decreasing acceleration without necessarily decelerating.

4. What are some real-life examples of negative acceleration?

Some common examples of negative acceleration in everyday life include a car coming to a stop at a red light, a plane slowing down upon landing, and a runner gradually slowing down at the end of a race. Negative acceleration can also be observed in sports, such as a basketball player decelerating while stopping to take a shot.

5. How is negative acceleration related to Newton's laws of motion?

Negative acceleration is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of negative acceleration, the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to decelerate.