1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested sequence of closed sets and convergence in a topological space.

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##X## be a topological space. Let ##A_1 \supseteq A_2 \supseteq A_3...## be a sequence of closed subsets of ##X##. Suppose that ##a_i \in Ai## for all ##i## and that ##a_i \rightarrow b##. Prove that ##b \in \cap A_i##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose, for contradiction, that ##b \not\in \cap A_i##. Then there exists ##n \in \Bbb{N}## with ##b \not\in A_n##. But then ##b \not\in A_i## for all ##i \geq n##.

Since ##A_n## is closed, we can pick an open neighborhood ##V## of ##b \in A_1## with ##V \cap A_n = \emptyset##. By the definition of convergence, ##V## needs to contain all ##a_i## with ##i \geq N## for some ##N##. This is not possible because only a finite number of the ##a_i## can be contained ##V##, since ##b \not\in A_i## for all ##i \geq n##.

Is my answer correct?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

This is false. The hypotheses allow successive subsets to be equal, so it may be that [itex]A_n = A_1[/itex] for some [itex]n > 1[/itex].

The way to show that [itex]b \in \bigcap A_n[/itex] is to show that [itex]b \in A_n[/itex] for each [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

You know that [itex]A_n[/itex] is closed, so it contains all its limit points. Does there exist a sequence lying within [itex]A_n[/itex] whose limit is [itex]b[/itex]?

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    If ##A_n = A_1## for any ##n>1##, then we automatically get a contradiction, because ##a_i \rightarrow b## implies that ##b## is in the closure of ##A_1##. However, ##\bar{A_1} = A_1## and ##b \not\in A_1##. A contradiction, right?

5. Jun 2, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

In order for your proof to work, you need there to exist some [itex]A_n[/itex] which is a proper subset of [itex]A_1[/itex]. If, by assumption, [itex]b \notin A_n[/itex], then it can only be because [itex]A_n[/itex] is such a proper subset, and there then exists an open neighbourhood [itex]V[/itex] of [itex]b[/itex] such that [itex]V \cap A_n = \varnothing[/itex].

The only circumstance in which you can't do this is when [itex]A_n = A_1[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], in which case trivially [itex]b \in A_1 = \cap A_n[/itex].

Your proof just needs to be explicit about these points.

My other point is that there is a simpler direct proof which doesn't have this difficulty: for each [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], the subsequence [itex]\{a_n, a_{n+1}, \dots\}\subset A_n[/itex] has limit [itex]b[/itex].

6. Jun 2, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two comments:
    1. What do you mean by "an open neighborhood ##V## of ##b \in A_1##"? Are you claiming that ##b \in A_1##? On what basis? And why does your proof need this to be true anyway?
    2. If ##b \not\in A_n##, then ##b \in A_n^c##. Since ##A_n## is closed, ##A_n^c## is an open neighborhood of ##b##. You don't need to introduce a new set ##V##. If ##i \geq n##, can ##a_i## be in ##A_n^c##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted