1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Electric Field due to 2 different charges

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A. Two particles having charges of 0.600 nC and 9.60 nC are separated by a distance of 1.60 m. At what point along the line connecting the two charges is the net electric field due to the two charges equal to zero?

B. Where would the net electric field be zero if one of the charges were negative?

2. Relevant equations

E= kq/r^2 k= 8.99X10^9

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really lost about where to start. Using the two charges and distance of 1.6m, I calculated the electric field to be 2.03X10^-8 N/C

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You can imagine that in between the two particles, there's a point at which the influence of one particle exactly balances that of the other. Call the distance from this point to the 0.6 nC charge "d". Can you set up an algebraic relation that states "this charge must create the same electric field as this other charge"?

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    so, should I set the electric fields due to each charge equal to each other and solve for d?

maybe, E1= kq1/d^2, E2=kq2/d^2 and so kq1/d^2=kq2/d^2 and d=square root(kq1+kq2)

I did this, but I get d to be 9.58 m, which doesn't sound reasonable

Is there a better way of doing this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook