1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net electrostatic force : four particles form a square

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    I apologize in advance - I am completely clueless about this one. I thought I had it figured out, but it turns out that I think I don't know where to even start.
    Four particles form a square. The charges are q1 = q4 = Q and q2 = q3 = q. What is Q/q if the net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 3 is zero?
    [​IMG]
    See, I thought it would work out to be 1 since I thought q and Q must be the same for the force to be zero. Apparently I am mistaken. So... show me start to finish pretty please??? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Your right that Q and q have to have oppisite sighns for the forces to cancel out. But you have to show some work first and eaven the we almost never don't give full answers.
    Hint: Just draw out the force components and show when the total on each axis is zero.

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    But I thought this was one of those that you don't really do work - it's logic. Say Q is 2. q has to be -2. Q/q=-1? But that's not right either...

I tried figuring it out this way:
    The distance from particle 1 to 4 is sqrt(2a^2), so the force there is k(2Q/(sqrt(2a^2)^2) which simplifies to k(Q/a).
    The combined forces of 2 and 3 will pull 1 in at a 45 degree angle to 2 or 3, which is the same direction 4 is pushing away at.
    So, for 1: F=k(Q*q/a^2), except we have to take the 45 degrees into account, so F=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2).
    Set them equal, and we have:
    k(Q/a)=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
    Q=2*Q*q*cos(45)/a
    q=a/2cos(45)

Then for particle 3:
    F=k(2q/(sqrt(2a^2)^2)=k(q/a)
    F=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
    k(q/a)=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
    Q=a/2cos(45)

Q=a/2cos(45)=q, so Q/q is 1. ???

5. Jan 13, 2006 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

It should be:
    k(Q^2/(sqrt(2a^2)^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?