Net flux through a closed sphere

In summary, to find the net electrical flux through a closed sphere of radius R in a uniform electric field, you can use the first half of Gauss's Law. By visualizing the sphere as having an "axis" aligned with the electric field, and integrating the flux over all the area elements in a hemisphere, you can prove that the flux is 0 due to no charge being enclosed. This can be easily done with a single-variable integral.
PeteyCoco
Find the net electrical flux through a closed sphere of radius R in a uniform electric field

I know that the flux is going to be 0 since there is no charge enclosed, but how would I show this mathematically? The next half of the question asks about a cylinder with sides parallel to the electric field, which I can prove is 0 easily, but I'm not sure if I know the math to prove the first scenario. Can the sphere-problem be proven with only knowledge of Single-Variable calc?

EDIT: I guess I'm asking if this can be proven easily using the first half of Gauss's Law, ignoring (Q-internal)/(epsilon-nought)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it can be done with a single-variable integral.

You can visualize that the sphere has an "axis" aligned with the electric field. For area elements, take rings that are centered on that axis, something like this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScKzbiYeomeocc55pBJpWhmYUKtXiqEEj4w3nIbxwtelBZndR1.png
Integrate the flux over all the area elements in a hemisphere, and you'll get that hemisphere's contribution to the total flux.

Hope that's clear enough.

1. What is net flux through a closed sphere?

The net flux through a closed sphere is a measure of the total flow of a vector field through the surface of a sphere. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the field at each point on the surface.

2. How is net flux through a closed sphere calculated?

Net flux through a closed sphere can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the net flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by finding the surface integral of the vector field over the surface of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the net flux through a closed sphere?

The net flux through a closed sphere is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, the size of the sphere, and the distribution of charges within the sphere. It is also affected by the distance between the center of the sphere and the source of the field.

4. Why is net flux through a closed sphere important?

Net flux through a closed sphere is an important concept in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics. It helps to quantify the flow of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the flow of fluids, through a closed surface. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and the study of atmospheric phenomena.

5. How does net flux through a closed sphere relate to conservation laws?

Net flux through a closed sphere is closely related to the principle of conservation of charge and the principle of conservation of mass. These laws state that the total amount of charge and mass in a closed system remains constant. Net flux through a closed sphere helps to illustrate these principles by showing how the flow of charge and mass through a closed surface is conserved.