1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net flux through a closed sphere

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    Find the net electrical flux through a closed sphere of radius R in a uniform electric field

I know that the flux is going to be 0 since there is no charge enclosed, but how would I show this mathematically? The next half of the question asks about a cylinder with sides parallel to the electric field, which I can prove is 0 easily, but I'm not sure if I know the math to prove the first scenario. Can the sphere-problem be proven with only knowledge of Single-Variable calc?

EDIT: I guess I'm asking if this can be proven easily using the first half of Gauss's Law, ignoring (Q-internal)/(epsilon-nought)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it can be done with a single-variable integral.

You can visualize that the sphere has an "axis" aligned with the electric field. For area elements, take rings that are centered on that axis, something like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScKzbiYeomeocc55pBJpWhmYUKtXiqEEj4w3nIbxwtelBZndR1.png
    Integrate the flux over all the area elements in a hemisphere, and you'll get that hemisphere's contribution to the total flux.

Hope that's clear enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook