1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net force exerted by two charges on a 3rd charge

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The drawing shows three point charges fixed in place. The charge at the coordinate origin has a value of q1 = +9.00 µC; the other two have identical magnitudes, but opposite signs: q2 = -5.00 µC and q3 = +5.00 µC.

For the problem imagine the x-y coordinate grid with a + and - 23 degree line coming off of it. and 1.3m out you get a -5 micro C (this is the +23 degree charge...q2) and a +5 micro C charge for the -23 degree (q3)

2. Relevant equations

i went with F = K q1 q2 / r^2
    and then i doubled it since they are identical charges

3. The attempt at a solution

So, i assume the left and the right canceled...obviously wrong, but i am not sure what else to do.

I set up the problem as: 2 * [ 9e9 * 9e-6 * 5e-6/ 1.3^2)] = .48 N and since i assumed it was in the middle (due to the right and left sides canceling out due to the opposite and equal charges) it went straight along the x-axis (0 degrees).

so my answer was .48 N at 0 degrees

and then for the second part it asks for the acceleration of the particle with a 1.3 g mass...

so i took: .48 N / .0013 kg = 369 m/s^2

help please i am lost in physics :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

If the horizontal components cancel... then you add the vertical components... you didn't use the vertical component... you used the net force... you should have 2q1q2/r^2 * cos(theta) (or maybe it's sin theta... I'm a little confused as to the orientation of the problem)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?