Neural Cybernetics: Can Computer Engineering & Physics Help?

• Thread starter JazzMasterKC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neural
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying computer engineering and physics at the University of Nebraska, and their concern about whether these fields will allow them to work on brain interfacing in a research field. They also mention their lack of interest in biology and chemistry, but their desire to work on projects related to Neural Cybernetics/brain interfacing. The speaker mentions a local research group with a team consisting of both computer science and bio/neuro people, and provides a link for more information.
JazzMasterKC
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Computer Science and Physics at the University of Nebraska (Incoming Freshman). I wish to switch to computer engineering for sure, but I have had a great deal of interest in brain interfacing. When I'm reviewing research documents and such it's starting to seem like a medical field or bio/chem major would be more helpful. My skill set is in the range of Engineering, programming, mathematics, physics but I am not really into biology and chemistry, nor want to take it.

So my question is, will Computer engineering and Physics(because I just really enjoy it :p) be able to allow me to work on brain interfacing in a research field? I'd love to work on some projects but I keep have to run around the bio/chem area. But if I really want to continue down this path of Neural Cybernetics/brain interfacing is Computer engineering and physics a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually know a local research group working on a similar topic. Their team consists of both CS and Bio/Neuro people. Usually you won't need to know intricate biological details, but learning some basic knowledge helps.

Edit: More info that you may be interested in. http://neurovision.cs.iupui.edu/index.html

1. What is Neural Cybernetics?

Neural Cybernetics is a field of study that combines principles from computer engineering and physics to understand and simulate the behavior of neural systems, such as the brain, with the goal of creating advanced artificial intelligence.

2. How can computer engineering and physics help in Neural Cybernetics?

Computer engineering provides the tools and techniques for building complex neural networks and analyzing their behavior, while physics provides the fundamental principles for understanding the physical processes involved in neural activity.

3. What are the potential applications of Neural Cybernetics?

The potential applications of Neural Cybernetics are vast and include creating advanced artificial intelligence for various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and transportation, as well as improving our understanding of the brain and its disorders.

4. What are the challenges in the field of Neural Cybernetics?

Some of the challenges in Neural Cybernetics include creating accurate and efficient models of neural systems, understanding the complex interactions within neural networks, and developing ethical guidelines for the use of advanced artificial intelligence.

5. What are some current developments in Neural Cybernetics?

Currently, there are many ongoing research projects in Neural Cybernetics, including the development of new algorithms for neural network training, the use of deep learning techniques to improve AI performance, and the integration of neural networks with other advanced technologies like robotics and virtual reality.