Neutron's crow flight distance & 2° moment of a distribution

In summary, Lamarsh was using the second moment of the distribution function to calculate the crow flight distance.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm looking for a simple explanation of the meaning of the crow flight distance and why it is defined as the second moment of a probability distribution:
$$\bar r^2 = \int r^2 p(r)dr$$
Where ##p(r)## is the probability that a neutron is absorbed in the interval ##dr## near ##r##. And what exactly is the meaning of the second moment of a probability distribution ?

Thanks
Ric

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think r^2 is the "crow flight distance".

Are you referring to the older Lamarsh book? (This is the only nuclear engineering book that I know of that has crow flight distance).
He talks about the crow flight distance, but he uses r^2 because it is a quantity that is part of the "fermi age" theory.

Yes, I realized later that ##\bar r## should be the crow flight distance and not ##\bar {r^2}##, but I still do not understand why he uses ##\bar {r^2}##. In fact ##\sqrt{ \bar {r^2}} \neq \bar r##

PS: yes, I'm reading Lamarsh book

I believe Lamarsh was using the formula (Equation 6-105) for the second moment of the distribution function, p(r), to obtain an expression in terms of τ, so that one would see that τ is equal to ##\frac{1}{6}\bar{r^2}##.

It's been about 40 years since I had to work those equations, and I think we had to show that ##\bar{r}^2 \neq \bar{r^2}##, the former being the square of the first moment of the distribution function.

$$\bar{r^2} = \int r^2 p(r)dr$$ and $$\bar r^2 = {\Big(\int r p(r)dr\Big)}^2$$

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I believe Lamarsh was using the formula (Equation 6-105) for the second moment of the distribution function, p(r), to obtain an expression in terms of τ, so that one would see that τ is equal to 16¯r216r2¯\frac{1}{6}\bar{r^2}.
Yes, but I thought that maybe it could have a deeper meaning...

1. What is a neutron's crow flight distance?

The neutron's crow flight distance refers to the distance traveled by a neutron in a straight line from its initial position to its final position. This is often used as a measure of the distance a neutron travels through a material, such as in nuclear reactors.

2. How is the crow flight distance of a neutron calculated?

The crow flight distance of a neutron can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the distance is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the neutron's x, y, and z coordinates.

3. What is the 2° moment of a distribution?

The 2° moment of a distribution, also known as the second moment or variance, measures the spread of data around the mean. It is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by the total number of data points.

4. How is the 2° moment of a distribution related to the crow flight distance of a neutron?

The 2° moment of a distribution can be used to calculate the average distance traveled by a neutron, which is related to the crow flight distance. This is because the crow flight distance takes into account the x, y, and z coordinates, which can be represented as data points in a distribution.

5. What factors can affect the crow flight distance and 2° moment of a distribution for neutrons?

The crow flight distance and 2° moment of a distribution for neutrons can be affected by various factors, such as the density and composition of the material the neutrons are traveling through, the energy of the neutrons, and any interactions or collisions with other particles in the material.