Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Book by Prof Kip Thorne on The Science of Interstellar

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I found a new book on The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne

https://www.amazon.com/The-Science-Interstellar-Kip-Thorne/dp/0393351378

What caught my attention was a photo of John Wheeler at the black board teaching about black holes. You could see the incredible detail in each pane of the board almost like PowerPoint slides of today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2
    Isn't this movie being torn to shreds in the SciFI forum?

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    No. There were a couple folks trying to sound edgy and cool, on a physics forum, spouting the usual "omg this movie sucks. the physics aren't realistic at all!" yet are apparently incapable of stating what exactly they don't like about it.

As someone in that thread already stated... anyone that goes to see the movie expecting a physics lecture is an idiot and shouldn't be making any claims about the quality of it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  5. Nov 13, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It's the old conundrum where if you want to make a movie with accurate physics it becomes a documentary but if you change things here and there to make the story more exciting then it becomes science fiction. It's either one or the other or worse it's a flop.

6. Nov 14, 2014 #5
    This is true. And I trust the reviews on IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes way more than some wet blanket that says the movie is garbage just because the physics isn't spot on. It's a MOVIE......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook