Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New heavy element discovered

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The NEWEST ELEMENT.

Scientists have discovered the heaviest element yet known to man. It is called governmentium (Gv).

It has 1 neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.

Since governmentium has no electrons or protons, it is inert. However, it can be detected because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.

Governmentium has a normal 1/2 life of 2 to 6 years.

It doesn't decay but undergoes a re-organisation in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.

When catalysed with money, governmentium becomes administratium, an element that radiates just as much energy as governmentium.

All of the money is consumed in the exchange and no other by-products are produced.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2
    Have you been travelling at a significant fraction of c recently by any chance? :P

4. Aug 21, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

IIRC the neutrons, assistant neutrons, etc. in governmentium and administratium are bound together by the exchange of particles called morons.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Aug 21, 2015 #5
    It's a hot gas (air) right?

7. Aug 21, 2015 #6
    Unfortunately, in some countries (Russia) it is stable :( :( :(

8. Aug 21, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yawn.

Could you possibly have found an older joke?

9. Aug 21, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jezz, guy. Sorry. This was the first I heard of it.

10. Aug 21, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

In the Greek Environment, Gv has different half lifetime..it's around 0.5-2.5 years.
    I guess it's the lively sun that effects it.

11. Aug 21, 2015 #10

kpresley

Gold Member

'Discovered' may be misleading, more just realized like gravity and not unlike gravity, a governmentium can not be defined or understood well and is one of the weaker forces, but we all still feel the effects everyday.

12. Aug 21, 2015 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's the first I've heard of it, also.
    But it was posted here on Jan 15, 2010. (our bad!)
    Though, there was no further discussion on the matter, or the anti-matter, for that matter.

I hypothesize, that governmentium may be the long sought after missing "dark matter".
    It seems to centralize, into a type of invisible white elephant black hole, which consumes, an implied new virtual particle: Financium.

ps. I approve of this thread. :smile:

13. Aug 21, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, sunny Italy has the same problem. Very erratic half-life. Anything from a few months (usually) to many years (when doped with Berlesconium)

14. Aug 21, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think the words to discuss about are: 1. discovered 2. demonstrated....
    I think discovery has to do with finding something out of the blue, without anything predicting it. For example the Discovery of America.
    Demonstration is the finding of something that is predicted. So I think Higgs was demonstrated and not discovered ?

Realization is different? I don't thing Gv is supposed to be something like gravity or whatever...It's presented as a particle, exotic nucleus.

15. Aug 21, 2015 #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I disagree, a demonstration is showing something you know to be true, like repeating an experiment to further the understanding of a concept among students. Even if the Higgs was expected, we did not know it was there until it was discovered.

16. Aug 21, 2015 #15
  17. Aug 22, 2015 #16

kpresley

Gold Member

True it is, although my analogy was directed at our failure to control the ones that work for us in the US. I should have been more precise and detailed in my post for later dissection, but I hadn’t finished my allotted gallon of coffee yet (pre-noon allotment).

18. Aug 22, 2015 #17

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Somehow I missed that previous thread, so this thread is the first time I became aware of governmentium. However, administratium has around a long time, as V50 noted. I first learned of it via a crappy-looking Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox. (For our younger members who have never seen them, they were the pre-Internet version of the re-re-re-forwarded e-mail, which I guess has now been superseded by the re-re-retweet. :cool:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook