Should I Switch My Major from Electrical Engineering to Physics?

In summary, the individual is a sophomore in college and is currently taking EE classes but is considering switching to a physics major due to their passion for the subject. They are worried about job opportunities in the field of physics, but it is mentioned that there are options outside of research positions, such as developing technology for a company. The individual is also considering a double major in EE and physics, or an Engineering Physics major if available. They express interest in self-studying quantum physics and relativity and are advised to take courses in modern physics and quantum mechanics.
kgoro
Hey everyone, first of all I'd like to point out that I do plan on becoming an active part of this community, because I love physics! That being said, I am currently a sophomore in college and am currently taking a bunch of EE classes because I had decided to try to get into the EE program at my university. I had decided to try to make this switching after becoming absolutely infatuated with Classical Physics II (circuit theory, magnetism, optics). Lately, however, I've been having A LOT of physics thoughts, so much so that I am contemplating switching majors with my enrollment date coming up in just 3 days. I am so torn because I know an EE degree would almost guarantee me a job after graduation. I do enjoy EE and I have fun designing things, but I feel as if my true passion is physics. I am absolutely fascinated by E&M, quantum physics, relativity, etc and would love to be a research physicist. My only issue is that these positions are apparently few and far between according to most people. I should note that I do attend a very very research-oriented school with close connections to a national lab, but I know that doesn't guarantee anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Becoming a research physicist is less impossible than many make it seem, provided that you keep your options open. True, becoming a research professor at a university is a very difficult thing. But there are physicists outside universities. For example, developing technology for a company.
If you keep your options open (meaning taking certain courses like programming), you are almost guaranteed a job as a physicist. But then you need to be aware that you might land a job which isn't a research physicist. But you won't be jobless. (Of course, if you don't keep a plan B in mind and take a lot of courses only on topics like neutrino's in stars and nothing else, then you'll have a difficult time. So do try to keep in mind that you'll need to develop abilities outside of pure physics, trying to land internships in companies would be a good idea to try too. There are many other things to do).

Of course, you might also try to double major in EE/physics. But really, if you're a bit smart about your decisions during college, and if you take into account that you might get a job that doesn't use physics heavily (like being a quant), then you will almost certainly end up with a nice well-paying job.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Thank you for your response. I am currently learning C and as a result of everything I've read about I'll probably pick up C++ or Java as well. I do plan on adding an EE minor if I do decide to major in Physics and I would be taking more courses than required for the minor because as you said I want to keep my options open (leaning towards Digital Signal Processing if anything). A double major would be quite difficult but I suppose not impossible, I'd have to speak with advisors regarding scheduling, but I want to go to graduate school.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Check to see if your university offers an Engineering Physics major. Usually it works as a sort of streamlined double major between engineering and physics.

Alexmer said:
Check to see if your university offers an Engineering Physics major. Usually it works as a sort of streamlined double major between engineering and physics.
I looked around and there are very few schools which have that major (only one of which is a possible option for me). Furthermore, it's basically just a physics major with a few engineering classes of the students choice. I could easily just do the physics major and take lots of EE classes and end up with the same credentials. I just don't know how that'd look to an employer. My school does have an EE master's degree with concentration in Quantum Electronics and Semiconductors, which is something I am definitely interested in. Part of me wanted to to make the next big leap in physics and finally explain gravity using string theory (or something of that magnitude), but thinking more realistically I don't think I'm smart enough to do something like that. Is there any way that I can self-study Quantum physics/relativity? Because I really hunger for that knowledge. Physics makes me emotional and I feel very strongly about it (weird?). But yeah, sorry for the babbling by the way, I really needed this off my chest.

It's not uncommon for electrical engineers to take undergraduate quantum mechanics, depending on their specialty. You can also take a modern physics course which should include special relativity (this is often a prerequisite for QM anyways).

Alexmer said:
It's not uncommon for electrical engineers to take undergraduate quantum mechanics, depending on their specialty. You can also take a modern physics course which should include special relativity (this is often a prerequisite for QM anyways).
That's what I was thinking. Thanks again for your input!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

Choosing a major can be a daunting task, but it is important to consider factors such as your interests, skills, career goals, and job opportunities in the field. It is also important to think about the courses and curriculum requirements for each major.

2. How can I explore different majors and find one that is right for me?

There are many ways to explore different majors, such as taking introductory courses, talking to advisors and professors, attending career fairs and information sessions, and researching online. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni in the majors you are considering.

3. Is it okay to change my major during my college career?

Absolutely! Many students change their majors during their college career, and it is completely normal. It is important to find a major that you are passionate about and that aligns with your goals and interests.

4. How can I ensure that I will be successful in my chosen major?

Success in a major often depends on hard work, dedication, and a strong interest in the subject matter. It can also be helpful to seek out resources such as tutoring, study groups, and academic advisors to support your academic journey.

5. Are there any majors that are better for certain career paths?

While some majors may have more direct career paths, it is important to remember that many skills are transferable to various fields. It is also common for individuals to change careers throughout their lives, so it is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and that will provide a strong foundation for your future endeavors.