What led you to become a part-time physics tutor and join this forum?

• Thread starter Scott Redmond
  • Start date
In summary, the tutor was inspired to become a part-time physics tutor due to their passion for physics and teaching. They discovered this forum through a colleague and joined in order to connect with other physics enthusiasts and share their knowledge. Their qualifications include a Bachelor's degree in Physics, a Master's degree in Education, and several years of experience as a teaching assistant and private tutor. The tutor enjoys the satisfaction of helping students understand difficult concepts and the challenge of finding creative ways to make the subject engaging. They approach teaching by adapting their methods to cater to different types of learners and providing personalized support.
Scott Redmond
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to physics. My education background is in engineering, but I also taught pre-university physics for 3 1/2 years before dropping back from full-time employment to focus on being a work-at-home dad. I started a private physics tutoring company in December 2014, and have found that working part-time is fantastic for family life and still gives me a chance to work with students. I'm joining this forum to keep helping students - especially between semesters when tutoring gets relatively quiet - and to keep learning myself, since I found that I learned a bit more with each year that I was teaching. This forum seems to be very well organized and I look forward to contributing myself.

Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! Is it okay for me to use my website logo as my avatar? Although in general I like to advertise my site, it's more important for me to respect the integrity of this forum.

I was trying to figure out how to reply to your welcome message directly, and replying here is easier.

Scott Redmond said:
Is it okay for me to use my website logo as my avatar? Although in general I like to advertise my site, it's more important for me to respect the integrity of this forum.
No problem. If you're an asset to the community, then you deserve the right to a little self promotion :)

Likes berkeman
Welcome Scott :smile:

Here is a thread that will help you understand some of our Homework Help philosophy:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-coursework-questions.373889/

And we really emphasize helping students learn how to learn here. So we ask a lot of probing questions, give hints, find errors, etc. But the student needs to end up doing the bulk of the work on their schoolwork questions. Great to have you helping out! :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Hi Berkeman,

Thanks for the info. I just read it and it is quite helpful!

I'd also like to thank you for taking quick action and deleting my post. I was toying with LaTeX notation yesterday and posted accidentally when I hit "Enter" and then felt pressure to edit it immediately even though I was running out of time... I felt bad when I saw your message in my email later, but didn't have a chance to log in again until this morning.

Scott

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt

1. What inspired you to become a part-time physics tutor?

I have always had a passion for physics and teaching. During my undergraduate studies, I often found myself helping my classmates understand complex physics concepts. This experience sparked my interest in tutoring and I realized that I could use my knowledge and skills to help others excel in physics.

2. How did you discover this forum and decide to join?

I was looking for ways to connect with other physics enthusiasts and share my knowledge. I came across this forum through a recommendation from a colleague and was impressed by the diverse community of students and tutors. I saw it as a great opportunity to expand my teaching experience and learn from others.

3. What qualifications do you have to be a physics tutor?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Physics and a Master's degree in Education. I also have several years of experience working as a teaching assistant and private tutor for physics courses. Additionally, I am constantly updating my knowledge and skills through workshops and conferences in the field of physics education.

4. What do you enjoy most about being a part-time physics tutor?

I love seeing the "aha" moment on my students' faces when they finally understand a difficult concept. It is incredibly rewarding to be able to help students overcome their struggles and develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for physics. I also enjoy the challenge of finding creative ways to explain complex ideas and making the subject more engaging for my students.

5. How do you approach teaching physics to different types of learners?

I believe that every student has a unique learning style and it is important to adapt my teaching methods to cater to their individual needs. I often use a combination of visual aids, interactive demonstrations, and hands-on activities to make the material more accessible and engaging. I also encourage my students to ask questions and provide personalized support to help them grasp the concepts more effectively.