Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Member: Scott Redmond

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to physics. My education background is in engineering, but I also taught pre-university physics for 3 1/2 years before dropping back from full-time employment to focus on being a work-at-home dad. I started a private physics tutoring company in December 2014, and have found that working part-time is fantastic for family life and still gives me a chance to work with students. I'm joining this forum to keep helping students - especially between semesters when tutoring gets relatively quiet - and to keep learning myself, since I found that I learned a bit more with each year that I was teaching. This forum seems to be very well organized and I look forward to contributing myself.

Scott

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2
    Welcome to PF!

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    Thanks! Is it okay for me to use my website logo as my avatar? Although in general I like to advertise my site, it's more important for me to respect the integrity of this forum.

I was trying to figure out how to reply to your welcome message directly, and replying here is easier.

5. May 11, 2015 #4
    No problem. If you're an asset to the community, then you deserve the right to a little self promotion :)

6. May 11, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome Scott :smile:

Here is a thread that will help you understand some of our Homework Help philosophy:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-coursework-questions.373889/

And we really emphasize helping students learn how to learn here. So we ask a lot of probing questions, give hints, find errors, etc. But the student needs to end up doing the bulk of the work on their schoolwork questions. Great to have you helping out! :smile:

7. May 12, 2015 #6
    Hi Berkeman,

Thanks for the info. I just read it and it is quite helpful!

I'd also like to thank you for taking quick action and deleting my post. I was toying with LaTeX notation yesterday and posted accidentally when I hit "Enter" and then felt pressure to edit it immediately even though I was running out of time... I felt bad when I saw your message in my email later, but didn't have a chance to log in again until this morning.

Scott

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook