New method finding moment of inertia of a soild sphere

In summary, there are multiple methods to calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere, including treating it as a collection of point masses and using calculus. It is also related to kinetic energy and there may be more than 18 methods to solve this problem.
jaeoos
Q. Show the moment of inertia of sphere is 2/5mR^2
using many different methods.

My professor said he knew 18 different method.
Do you have a new idea?
Tell me anything you know. I hope one of your methods will be the 19th method.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inertia for a point mass is [tex]I = mr^{2}[/tex]. If you have a sphere you can treat it as a large number of point masses and add them together as in [tex]I = \sum m_{i}r_{i}^{2}[/tex]. It is probably better to solve this using calculus though. For rotational inertia the equation [tex]I = \sum m_{i}r_{i}^{2}[/tex] is an approximation of [tex] I = \int r^{2} dm [/tex].

Rotational inertia is also related to kinetic energy. Kinetic energy can be expresses as [tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^{2}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular speed.

I've never heard anyone say that there 18 ways to solve this problem, but I suppose it might depend on what other information you might be given.

hope that helps

-dim

Last edited:

What is moment of inertia and why is it important in studying solid spheres?

Moment of inertia is a physical property that measures the resistance of a solid sphere to changes in its rotational motion. It is important in studying solid spheres because it helps us understand and predict how the sphere will behave when subjected to rotational forces.

What is the traditional method of finding moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The traditional method involves using the formula I = 2/5 * mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere. This method is based on the assumption that the mass of the sphere is evenly distributed.

What are the limitations of the traditional method of finding moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The traditional method assumes that the mass of the sphere is evenly distributed, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account the shape and density distribution of the sphere, which can significantly affect its moment of inertia.

What is the new method of finding moment of inertia of a solid sphere and how does it differ from the traditional method?

The new method involves using advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration and calculus, to accurately calculate the moment of inertia of a solid sphere. This method takes into account the shape and density distribution of the sphere, making it more accurate than the traditional method.

What are the advantages of using the new method to find moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The new method provides a more accurate calculation of moment of inertia, which is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics. It also takes into account the non-uniform density and shape of the sphere, making it applicable to a wider range of real-world scenarios.