Moment of inertia, Sphere. New method.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
jaeoos
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Q. Show the moment of inertia of sphere is 2/5mR^2
using many different methods.

My professor said he knew 18 different method.
Do you have a new idea?
Tell me anything you know. I hope one of your methods will be the 19th method.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your professor was referring to experimental methods of finding moment of inertia of a solid sphere ( I am sure there are more than 18).
The only method, by way of proof, that I know of involves calculus.
 
I have found 4 methods involving calculus.
calculus from disk(2 methods), sphere and shell.
 
Your two methods using discs, how do they vary ?
Also I would like to know your approach using a sphere .