1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New skill needs job change

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    new skill needs job change:D

I would like to know how are they related ?

I am now working as an accountant and also trying to save my free time at night learning business administration and management, how can I persuade my future interviewers/employers that I do have skills in business management if later I leave the current company for another one. Teaching and training oneself some subjects can't be proven as working experience to most employers. Even when hired, I can't be evaluated as an experienced business manager, because I was an accountant and hence the expected salary might be much lower (than that for an experienced accountant). I am looking for a link between these two to step up. :cool: Thank you for your advice, suggestions and teachings.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: new skill needs job change:D

Have you considered moving to one of the big (international client base) accountancy firms on the management consultancy side?

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Re: new skill needs job change:D

What are you saying? That because you pursue further (after-hours) education in "Business Management" that someone should hire you to be Plant Manager, Financial Director, or Chief Executive Officer? That's not realistic. Education without experience has little use.

And the reality of the corporate world is this:
    • There is one or more ladders to the upper ranks of "Business Management" positions.
    • In any existing corporation, all of the rungs of those ladders already have people waiting to move up.
    • In any new company, you can only get to those upper Business Management positions if you have experience.

If you want to gain "Business Management" experience, then you'll have to do this in your own company or another. But either way you'll have to start at the lower levels and prove your managerial skills of people manangement & motivation, big- and bigger-picture thinking, and delivering positive results. It seems to have a bit of an advantage that you could bring to the negotiations: you already have a deeper understanding of accounting than probably the other candidate in the waiting room.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook