How Can I Achieve 270 Degrees Celsius with a 12V 500mA Adapter and Wire?

In summary, the person is trying to produce 270 degrees Celsius using a 12v 500ma adapter and a wire from a toaster wound around a nail. They have tried different configurations with different lengths and materials, but have not been successful in getting enough heat. They are looking for advice on the best configuration to achieve their desired temperature without having to calculate resistivity. They have seen it done before with a certain thickness and number of turns, but did not take note of the specifics.
jemmap
im trying to produce about 270degrees celcius and have a 12v 500ma adapter i plug into the wall, I've wound the wire from a toaster round a nail, imn not getting enough heat though. I've tryed 5 small lenghts in parallel a single long piece, a single short piece...

so tell me, what configuration will give me the most heat?
would it be better to use copper wire? if so can anyone recommend a thickness? tryed it with thin wire but only the adapter heated up. i don't really want to get into calculating the resistivity of each metal etc, just want someone to help me get 270 degrees with a piece of wire and a 12v 500mA adapter.

ive seen it done before, just didnt take note of the thickness/turns

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Given the wall adapter as a starting point, you will get the most power out of it if the resistance of the nichrome toaster wire matches the output resistance of the wall adapter. You measure the output resistance of the wall adapter by loading it with two different load resistances, and calculating the open circuit voltage and output resistance based on those two points. Do you know how to do that?

yeah, I've pluged it into an old psu, working great now :D

1. What is the process of building an element?

The process of building an element involves several steps, including researching the element's properties and characteristics, acquiring the necessary materials, designing and constructing the necessary equipment, and conducting experiments to create and observe the element.

2. What materials are needed for building an element?

The materials needed for building an element may vary depending on the specific element being created. Generally, a source material containing the element's atomic components, as well as specialized equipment such as a furnace or particle accelerator, will be necessary.

3. How long does it take to build an element?

The time it takes to build an element can vary greatly, depending on factors such as the complexity of the element, the availability of materials and equipment, and the skill and experience of the scientist conducting the experiment. Some elements may take weeks or even months to build, while others may only take a few days.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when building an element?

Safety precautions are extremely important when building an element, as some elements can be highly reactive and dangerous. It is important to wear protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and follow all safety protocols and guidelines. It is also recommended to have a designated safety officer present during the experiment.

5. What are the potential applications of a newly built element?

The potential applications of a newly built element can vary greatly, depending on its properties and characteristics. Some elements may have practical applications in industries such as medicine or technology, while others may have implications for further scientific research and understanding of the natural world.