Newton 2nd Law word problem help

In summary, a click beetle can have an acceleration upward of 400 times the acceleration due to gravity when it jumps, which would be fatal for a human. Given the mass of a beetle as 4.00 × 10−5 kg and the free-fall acceleration as 9.807 m/s2, the magnitude of the force exerted by the beetle on the ground at the beginning of the jump can be calculated with and without gravity taken into account. The formula for net force is Fnet = Fbeetle - Fg, where Fbeetle represents the force exerted by the beetle and Fg represents the force of gravity.
Mspang22
"Newton 2nd Law" word problem help

Homework Statement

When the click beetle jumps in the air, its acceleration upward can be as
large as 400.0 times the acceleration due to gravity. (An acceleration
this large would instantly kill any human being.) For a beetle whose
mass is 40.00 mg, calculate the magnitude of the force exerted by the
beetle on the ground at the beginning of the jump with gravity taken
into account. Calculate the magnitude of the force with gravity ne-
glected. Use 9.807 m/s2 as the value for free-fall acceleration.

Given:
m= 4.00 × 10−5 kg
g = 9.807 m/s2
anet = (400.0)g

Homework Equations

>.<
Fnet=Fbeetle-Fg
i think

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really lost on what to do, maybe if somebody could give me the initial setup and explain why i will be able to complete the problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Forget about it, I don't have any more time to work on my homework, and this hasn't been looked at a single time so, don't even bother working on it.

What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

How do I solve a word problem involving Newton's 2nd Law?

To solve a word problem involving Newton's 2nd Law, you will need to identify the known variables such as mass, net force, and acceleration, and use the formula F=ma to calculate the unknown variable.

Can you provide an example of a Newton's 2nd Law word problem?

Sure! An example of a Newton's 2nd Law word problem could be: "A 5kg object is pushed with a net force of 10N. What is the acceleration of the object?" Using the formula F=ma, we can solve for the acceleration by dividing the net force (10N) by the mass (5kg), which would give us an acceleration of 2 m/s².

What units are used when solving a Newton's 2nd Law word problem?

The units used when solving a Newton's 2nd Law word problem depend on the variables given. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), force in Newtons (N), and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a Newton's 2nd Law word problem?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a Newton's 2nd Law word problem is mixing up the units. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable and convert them if necessary. Another mistake is not considering the direction of the net force, as it can impact the direction of the acceleration.