1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton Problem (2nd Law of Motion)

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    the problem: a plane with a mass of (3.5X10^5)kg is landing. If the speed is 27 m/s and the net braking force is (4.30X10^5) N then a) what is the speed 7.5 sec later? and b) how far has it traveled in this time?

this is how i started, because speed is distance/time i felt that it would be better for me to fine the the distance first.
    so: with the given information i solved for the acceleration using F=MA.
    the a turned out to be 5.282 m/s^2. from here i used the eq: x=x0+ v0t + .5a(t^2). and this gave me the distance of 53.94 m.
    then i used this to solve for a which was just 53.94/7.5= 7.192m/s.

i am just wonder if my thought process is correct. in the problem it is not stated the the 27 m/s is the initial velocity so i am wondering if it is ok if i used it as such. if anyone could shine some light on the problem or tell if i did it correctly i would appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2
    What you did is perfect. 27m/s IS the intial velocity. Initial velocity just means the velocity at some time t=0, but you get to pick when that time is. In this problem you essentially chose t=0 to be the instant when the plane is moving 27m/s.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3
    ahh thank you so much.

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4
    how did you get the accerleration=5.282 m/s^2?
    I try a= F/m but got a different answer: 1.22m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?