Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton universal gravitation formula, how f is dimensionally derived?

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    If f dimensions are ml/t^2, where does t^2 come from in the equation of
    F = G*m1*m2/r^2 where I believe G to be a constant, m1 and m2 to be masses and r to be the distance between two masses - so length. To dimensionally analyse this then, where would the dimension time come from if I were to check if the equation is dimensionally correct and I cant see where it comes from? I do think that it may come from G but i have seen various answers on what the dimensions of G are so I cant cancel the dimensions out to check if it is the same as F? Help would be appreciated, many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to Newton

F=ma since acceleration has units l t-2 the units of force must be m Lt-2.

Using that you can figure out the units G needs to make the given equation dimensionally correct. Time is factored into the constant.

5. Sep 2, 2014 #4
  6. Sep 2, 2014 #5
    Hi thanks for the help however I focusing on F instead of G giving that G = N m^2 kg^-2 or what G is?

7. Sep 2, 2014 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isolating, ## G= F ## ##
    r^2 / (m_1 m_2 )##. You can tell right away the units of G.

8. Sep 2, 2014 #7
    ah I think I understand so by working out the dimensions of G you can show that F must equal to Gxm1xm2 because it will balance the equation to = F?

9. Sep 2, 2014 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Observation shows that F equals Gxm1xm2/r^2. The dimension of G are defined based on this. So there is no point in checking if the equation is dimensionally correct, because it was defined to be correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook