Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dimensional anaylsis and gravitational law

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    Pretend that we do not know gravitational law at all, and want to investigate the gravitational law by dimensional analysis:

Let's suppose the gravitational force are proportional to both masses, distance, hence:

[tex] F \propto m_1^am_2^br_{12}^c [/tex]

But obviously, there is no way to equal the dimensions, since the right side has no dimension of time at all. Making a constant G fitting the dimensions kind of sounds like a cheat to me here. It left me wonder if dimensional analysis fails.

Hence I would like to pose: how do we obtain the gravitational law by dimensional analysis? If impossible, then when, and how dimensional analysis fails?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand your problem. ##G## also has a dimension. The correct law is that
    $$|\vec{F}| =\frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^2}.$$
    The dimensions are
    $$\text{N}=\text{kg} \, \text{m}/\text{s}^2=[G] \text{kg}^2/\text{m}^2 \; \Rightarrow \; [G]=\text{m}^3/(\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2).$$
    The value is ##6.67408(31) \cdot 10^{-11}\, \frac{\text{m}^3}{\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2}##.

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dimensional analysis is not the tool to obtain new physical laws.

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean something like this can make you happy ?

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5
    Not exactly...
    I mean if we know absolutely nothing about newton's gravitational law, and we want to find gravitational law by dimensional analysis.
    however, this seems impossible to me (as I wrote in my 1st post)

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

You don't do it by dimensional analysis. You do it by observing the motions of the planets and dropping cannonballs off towers (allegedly).

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7
    this is obvious in hindsight. but imagine we live in a time before Newton, and want to figure it out by dimensional analysis - we know nothing about G. While in dimensional analysis, we usually assume no dimensions for the proportional constant.

9. Nov 8, 2016 #8
    Would you mind elaborating a bit more?

10. Nov 8, 2016 #9
    I actually asked this question here, but got duplicate. however, the other site's answer doesn't satisfy me at all.

11. Nov 8, 2016 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are there any examples where dimensional analysis succeeds ? - without making some restrictive assumptions about the equation that is to be deduced.

12. Nov 8, 2016 #11

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See post #6.

13. Nov 8, 2016 #12
    I think these are UNITS....not dimensions!

14. Nov 8, 2016 #13

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In a fixed system of units as the here used SI there's a one-to-one correspondence between units and dimensions.

15. Nov 8, 2016 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No but a simple search for cantwell dimensional analysis fixes that easily: here

16. Nov 8, 2016 #15
    There may be a one to one correspondence but they are different physics concepts. Why do we use dimensions...M,L, T and C?
    If an exam question asks for dimensional analysis, using units would lose marks !!

17. Nov 26, 2016 #16
    always , how can you derive relations with dimentional analysis.
    it is not logical at all

18. Nov 26, 2016 #17
    I think dimensional analysis can be helpful. If you suspect there is a relationship between certain variables you can use observations, general knowledge and sometimes even complete guesses to predict what all of the variables may be and how they are related. You can then carry out a dimensional analysis and possibly come up with equations that balance.You can then test the equations experimentally and the experiments can yield the values of any dimensionless constants.

Dimensional analysis has its limitations and it may not work in many if not most cases. But it doesn't take long to carry out and it can give some clues on how to proceed with other methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted