Newtonian limit of Schwarzschild metric

In summary: So the EFE can still be written in this form, and the only difference is that the trace term is now on the RHS. Not necessarily. Take a look at Carroll's notes. The short version: there is an alternate way of writing the EFE, which moves the trace term from the LHS to the RHS:$$R_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi \left( T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} T \right)$$
dwellexity
If I am asked to show that the tt-component of the Einstein equation for the static metric
##ds^2 = (1-2\phi(r)) dt^2 - (1+2\phi(r)) dr^2 - r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2)##, where ##|\phi(r)| \ll1## reduces to the Newton's equation, what exactly am I supposed to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute the Einstein tensor for this metric and plug it into the Einstein Field Equation; take its 0-0 component; and show that the resulting equation reduces to Newton's equation.

I think it leads to Poisson's equation for the gravitostatic potential. ## \nabla^2 \phi (\mathbb{r}) = -\rho ##

PeterDonis said:
Compute the Einstein tensor for this metric and plug it into the Einstein Field Equation; take its 0-0 component; and show that the resulting equation reduces to Newton's equation.
I have got ##G_{tt} = - \frac{2(-1+2\phi)(\phi + 2 \phi^2 +r \phi')}{(r+2r\phi)^2}##
How do I proceed from here? I am getting a first derivative of ##\phi## instead of second derivative.

dwellexity said:
I have got ##G_{tt} = - \frac{2(-1+2\phi)(\phi + 2 \phi^2 +r \phi')}{(r+2r\phi)^2}##

Yes, this looks ok.

dwellexity said:
I am getting a first derivative of ##\phi## instead of second derivative.

Yes, but remember that the Einstein tensor has two pieces: ##G_{\mu \nu} = R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R##, where ##R_{\mu \nu}## is the Ricci tensor, and ##R## is the Ricci scalar. So the EFE is really ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R = 8 \pi T_{\mu \nu}##. You might try calculating the two pieces separately to see if there are second derivatives there.

Also, you might take a look at Carroll's online lecture notes on GR, chapter 4, which has a discussion of this calculation.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, but remember that the Einstein tensor has two pieces: ##G_{\mu \nu} = R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R##, where ##R_{\mu \nu}## is the Ricci tensor, and ##R## is the Ricci scalar. So the EFE is really ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R = 8 \pi T_{\mu \nu}##. You might try calculating the two pieces separately to see if there are second derivatives there.

I don't understand how this would affect anything. Even if Ricci tensor and Ricci Scalar have second derivatives, what ultimately matters is this particular sum.

dwellexity said:
Even if Ricci tensor and Ricci Scalar have second derivatives, what ultimately matters is this particular sum.

Not necessarily. Take a look at Carroll's notes. The short version: there is an alternate way of writing the EFE, which moves the trace term from the LHS to the RHS:

$$
R_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi \left( T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} T \right)
$$

For the case under discussion only the 0-0 component of this equation is significant, and only ##T_{00}## is significant in the trace ##T##.

1. What is the Newtonian limit of the Schwarzschild metric?

The Newtonian limit refers to the behavior of a gravitational field in the weak field limit, where the effects of gravity are small compared to other forces. In the case of the Schwarzschild metric, this limit occurs when the mass of the object is much larger than the radius of its event horizon. In this limit, the equations of general relativity reduce to the familiar Newtonian equations of gravity.

2. How does the Newtonian limit of the Schwarzschild metric differ from the full metric?

In the Newtonian limit, the Schwarzschild metric simplifies to the Newtonian gravitational potential, which only depends on the mass of the object. This is in contrast to the full Schwarzschild metric, which also includes terms for the object's spin and charge.

3. What physical phenomena can be studied using the Newtonian limit of the Schwarzschild metric?

The Newtonian limit is useful for studying the motion of objects in the vicinity of a massive object, such as a planet orbiting a star or a satellite orbiting Earth. It can also be used to study the bending of light in a gravitational field, known as gravitational lensing.

4. What are the limitations of the Newtonian limit of the Schwarzschild metric?

The Newtonian limit is only valid in the weak field limit, where the effects of gravity are small. It also does not take into account the effects of time dilation and gravitational redshift, which are significant in strong gravitational fields.

5. How does the Newtonian limit of the Schwarzschild metric relate to other limits, such as the post-Newtonian limit?

The Newtonian limit is a specific case of the post-Newtonian limit, which includes corrections to the Newtonian equations of gravity. In the case of the Schwarzschild metric, the post-Newtonian limit describes the behavior of the metric in the limit of small velocities and weak gravitational fields.