Newton's 3rd law and an impulse

In summary, a superball and a tomato of the same mass will hit a bathroom scale with the same force due to gravitational force. However, according to Newton's third law, the scale will exert the same force on both objects. This force should be the value shown on the scale, but the superball will appear to have twice the force of the tomato due to differences in elasticity and momentum transfer during the collision. It is incorrect to use F=ma to calculate the force in this scenario. Additionally, the difference in stiffness between the superball and tomato affects the G-forces experienced and the amount of kinetic energy released as heat during the collision.
WilliamLeung
If I have a superball and a tomato of the same mass in my hand, and I let it go.
The only force acting on my superball and tomato is gravitational force.
F=ma, they have same mass so they will hit the bathroom scale with the same force.
According to Newton's third law, the bathroom scale will exert the same force to both my superball and tomato.
This force should be the value show in the bathroom scale.
However, the bathroom scale will show the force of the superball is twice than that of the tomato.
Why is this deduction wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
WilliamLeung said:
If I have a superball and a tomato of the same mass in my hand, and I let it go.
The only force acting on my superball and tomato is gravitational force.
F=ma, they have same mass so they will hit the bathroom scale with the same force.
According to Newton's third law, the bathroom scale will exert the same force to both my superball and tomato.
This force should be the value show in the bathroom scale.
However, the bathroom scale will show the force of the superball is twice than that of the tomato.
Why is this deduction wrong?
Do you understand the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions? If not, I suggest you read up on them. Does your superball deform on impact to the same extent that the tomato does?

WilliamLeung said:
F=ma, they have same mass so they will hit the bathroom scale with the same force
This is not correct. They will have the same initial momentum on impact, but the force depends on their stiffness and other similar details.

Likes CWatters
Force is equivalent to rate of momentum transfer per unit time. A bathroom scale measures the average rate at which momentum is delivered to its upper surface. The total amount of momentum delivered in a collision will depend on both the impact velocity and the rebound velocity, i.e. how elastic the collision is. The rate at which momentum is delivered will depend on the duration of the collision, i.e. how hard the object is.

phinds said:
Do you understand the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions? If not, I suggest you read up on them. Does your superball deform on impact to the same extent that the tomato does?

I do
Dale said:
This is not correct. They will have the same initial momentum on impact, but the force depends on their stiffness and other similar details.

You mean they hit the scale the scale with different force and I can not calculate the force by simply using F=ma?

jbriggs444 said:
Force is equivalent to rate of momentum transfer per unit time. A bathroom scale measures the average rate at which momentum is delivered to its upper surface. The total amount of momentum delivered in a collision will depend on both the impact velocity and the rebound velocity, i.e. how elastic the collision is. The rate at which momentum is delivered will depend on the duration of the collision, i.e. how hard the object is.
I understand what you mean, but I am asking why is my reasoning wrong.

WilliamLeung said:
You mean they hit the scale the scale with different force
Yes. That is what I mean.

WilliamLeung said:
I can not calculate the force by simply using F=ma?
Newton's 2nd law remains valid. Since the force is different during the collision the acceleration will also be different during the collision. If you know one, then you can calculate the other.

Since the tomato isn't exactly elastic, but suffers from permanent deformation after impact, I guess that lots of the kinetic energy is released as heat, and will therefor not affect the scale in the same way as the superball is doing.
In addition, we're talking about G-forces which is very different between a stiff and a soft object.

Vidar

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law relate to an impulse?

An impulse is the change in momentum of an object. According to Newton's 3rd law, when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will experience an equal and opposite change in momentum. This means that the impulse experienced by one object is equal and opposite to the impulse experienced by the other object.

3. Can Newton's 3rd law be applied to all types of forces?

Yes, Newton's 3rd law can be applied to all types of forces, whether they are contact forces or non-contact forces. As long as there is an interaction between two objects, there will be an equal and opposite reaction according to this law.

4. What are some real-life examples of Newton's 3rd law and an impulse?

One example is when a person jumps off a diving board. As the person pushes down on the diving board, the board exerts an equal and opposite force on them, propelling them upwards. Another example is when a rocket launches into space. The force of the rocket's engines pushing downwards creates an equal and opposite force that propels the rocket upwards.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's 3rd law?

No, there are no exceptions to Newton's 3rd law. It is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven through countless experiments and observations. However, it is important to note that the forces must be acting on two different objects in order for the law to apply.