1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's law of cooling and thermometer

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I need some help in solving Newton's law of cooling problem.

Use Newton’s law of cooling to determine the
    reading on a thermometer 5 min after it is taken from an oven
    at 72 ◦ C to the outdoors where the temperature is 20 ◦ C, if
    the reading dropped to 48 ◦ C after one min.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=k(T-R)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried to do? You have to make an attempt before anyone will give you any help - them's the rules.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    OK, we let T be the temperature of the object. Then, by Newton's Law of Cooling, [tex]\frac{du}{dt}=k(u-20)[/tex], for some constant k. Let [tex]y=T-20[/tex]. Then [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{du}{dt}=ky[/tex]. Thus we are now using the formula [tex]y=y_{0}e^{kt}[/tex]. Since T is initially 72 ◦ C , [tex]y_{0}=72-20=52[/tex]. So, [tex]y=52e^{kt}[/tex].
    This is what I can do, so I'm asking you for some further help.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. Nov 24, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have thrown in an extra variable that you don't need.

Then, by Newton's Law of Cooling, [tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=k(T-20)[/tex], for some constant k. Let [tex]u=T-20[/tex]. Then [tex]\frac{du}{dt}=ku[/tex], and the solution to this differential equation is [tex]u=u_{0}e^{kt}[/tex]. Since T is initially 72 ◦ C , [tex]u_{0}=72-20=52[/tex]. So, [tex]u=52e^{kt}[/tex].

Reverting to T (we really want to know the temperature), we have T - 20 = 52ekt, or T(t) = 20 + 52ekt.

You're given that T(1) = 48, so use this fact to solve for k. After you have k, evaluate T(5) and you're done.

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    this helped me a lot, thank you! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook