Newton's Law of Cooling - "k" constant

In summary, Ben is exploring Newton's Law of Cooling and is interested in the relationship between the cooling constant "k" and the volume of water in a beaker. When plotting "k" values for different volumes, he is wondering what trend he should see as the volume increases and why. He is also looking for mathematical workings using Newton's formula to explain this trend. Additionally, he has asked for a graph of the results so far and mentioned that "k" may be proportional to the area of heat flux.
Ben Evans
Hi,

I have been exploring Newtons Law of Cooling. What relationship should i expect to see from the cooling constant "k". I have plotted the "k" values for each equation that i have developed (based off of different volumes of water in the same sized beaker). So, when the "k" vs volume graph is plotted, what trend should i see as the volume increases?? and why is this trend occurring. Any Mathematical working using Newtons formula showing to show this trend would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Ben Evans said:
Hi,

I have been exploring Newtons Law of Cooling. What relationship should i expect to see from the cooling constant "k". I have plotted the "k" values for each equation that i have developed (based off of different volumes of water in the same sized beaker). So, when the "k" vs volume graph is plotted, what trend should i see as the volume increases?? and why is this trend occurring. Any Mathematical working using Newtons formula showing to show this trend would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben
Please show us a graph of your results so far.

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a scientific law that describes the rate of heat loss of an object as it cools down to its surrounding temperature.

2. How does the "k" constant affect Newton's Law of Cooling?

The "k" constant, also known as the cooling constant, is a value that represents the rate at which an object cools down. It is a crucial factor in determining the rate of heat loss in Newton's Law of Cooling.

3. What factors can affect the "k" constant in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The "k" constant can be affected by various factors such as the surface area of the object, the type of material, and the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

4. How is Newton's Law of Cooling used in real-life applications?

Newton's Law of Cooling is used in various applications, such as predicting the cooling rate of food and beverages, determining the optimal temperature for storing perishable items, and analyzing the cooling systems in electronic devices.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be applied to objects that are heating up?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can also be applied to objects that are heating up. In this case, the "k" constant would represent the rate at which the object is heating up instead of cooling down.