Newton's Law System With Both Frictions

In summary, the minimum mass needed to get the system moving can be calculated using the formula fsmax = (coefficient of static friction)(FN), which gives a value of 32.94 N. Once the system starts moving, the friction force can be calculated using fk = (coefficient of kinetic friction)(FN), which gives a value of 18.3 N. The acceleration of the system can be determined using the formula FNET of SYS = (msys)(asys). A free body diagram of the second block should also be drawn to take into consideration its acceleration and the tension in the string. The minimum mass to get the system moving is equal to the ?? mass, and the changeover from staying at rest to moving
Michele Nunes

Homework Statement

Find the minimum mass that is needed to get the system moving and the acceleration of the system once it starts to move. The coefficient of static friction between the mass and the table is 0.54 and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.3.

Homework Equations

fsmax=(coefficient of static friction)(FN)
fk=(coefficient of kinetic friction)(FN)
FNET of SYS=(msys)(asys)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated static friction to be 32.94 N and kinetic friction to be 18.3 N and I know that the normal force and the weight of the first block balance out and I know that the tension in the rope balances out so the only forces I need to take into consideration are friction and the weight of the second block but I don't know what to do with static and kinetic friction, which one do I use and why?

Attachments

• Newton's Law System With Both Frictions.jpg
    Newton's Law System With Both Frictions.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 880
Physics news on Phys.org
So up to the time the block starts moving, the friction force is ##\mu_s F_N##. That helps you to calculate the ?? mass.
When the 6.1 kg moves, you can draw a new free body diagram, but now the friction force is ##\mu_k F_N##. That helps you to calculate the acceleration.

[edit] you may assume the minimum mass to get moving is the ?? mass and the changeover from staying at rest and moving is achieved without increasing that mass (a negligible gentle push from a fly bumping its nose or something)

Likes Michele Nunes
You also need to draw a free body diagram on the ?? mass, because that mass is accelerating as well, and that affects the tension in the string (i.e., the tension in the string is not equal to the weight of the ?? mass).

I sure second that ! Thanks Chet.

1. What is Newton's Law System With Both Frictions?

Newton's Law System With Both Frictions is a set of physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion when both frictional and non-frictional forces are present. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How does friction affect an object's motion according to Newton's Law System With Both Frictions?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. According to Newton's Law System With Both Frictions, frictional forces act in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can cause it to slow down or come to a stop.

3. Are there different types of friction described in Newton's Law System With Both Frictions?

Yes, there are two types of friction: static and kinetic. Static friction occurs when objects are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when objects are in motion.

4. How is Newton's Law System With Both Frictions applied in real-world situations?

Newton's Law System With Both Frictions is used in a wide range of applications, such as engineering, physics, and everyday life. For example, it is used to design vehicles with proper braking systems and to understand the motion of objects on inclined surfaces.

5. Can Newton's Law System With Both Frictions be used to accurately predict an object's motion?

Yes, Newton's Law System With Both Frictions is a highly accurate and reliable set of laws that can predict an object's motion with great precision. However, it is important to note that these laws are based on idealized conditions and may not always perfectly match real-world situations.