Newton's Laws applied at an incline including a spring and friction

In summary, the question is whether m2 moves up or downwards given several variables and conditions. To solve this, the forces of gravity, friction, and the spring are considered. The normal force must be calculated, and the system will either move up or down depending on the net force. There is also a third possibility of the system not moving at all.
gidoru90
Dear Helpers,
I'm sitting since ours in front of a task and trying to solve it.
Attached you find a picture to the problem.
Given:
θ=28°
μs=0.4
μk=0.3
k=30N/m
m1=1kg
m2=2kg
x0=0
x1=1m --> Spring is stretched

The question is:
Does m2 move up or downwards?

First thing I tried to solve it like this: I considered gravitation, friction and the force of the spring.
So I was thinking the following:
F(Spring)=-k*x
F(Object2)=m2*g
F(Object1)=m1*g*sin(28) <-- is this sin(28) correct?
F(Friction)=μk*F(Normal)
What is in this case the normal Force (F(Normal))?

F(Spring) + F(Friction) > F(Object2) + F(Object1) --> moves upwards
F(Spring) + F(Friction) < F(Object2) + F(Object1) --> moves downwards

I do understand, that I need to sum up all the forces an compare them. But is my way correct? Do I forget to consider sth? Maybe somebody is able to help me.

b) Would be "When does m2 touch the table gently?
For task b)
F=-kx^2
h=1m
Thanks in advance
Gio

Attachments

• WP_20140629_003.jpg
    WP_20140629_003.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, didn't read the "forum" rules before -.- First time, that I'm using a forum. Is it possible to shift my problem to the correct forum!
I'm sorry.

gidoru90 said:
Sorry, didn't read the "forum" rules before -.- First time, that I'm using a forum. Is it possible to shift my problem to the correct forum!
I'm sorry.

I'm sure someone with the ability will move this thread once they see it.

About your question, there is a third possibility, that the object doesn't move at all. We should rule out this possibility first.

For the system not to move, what must be the case?

This thread has been moved to its proper location. :smile:

When posting a new question in the homework forums in the future, please follow the template that you will be given automatically, which organizes your information so we can follow it easily. It's obviously missing from this question because you didn't originally post in the homework forums.

Does nobody has an idea?! This will be a task in my exam on wednesday!

Is this topic really so difficult that nobody has even an idea?!
Just don't know how friction and the spring has to be connected...

gidoru90 said:
F(Object1)=m1*g*sin(28) <-- is this sin(28) correct?

Yes that is correct

gidoru90 said:
F(Friction)=μk*F(Normal)
It isn't the kinetic friction you need to consider, it's the static friction.

gidoru90 said:
What is in this case the normal Force (F(Normal))?

It is the component of m1*g that is perpendicular to the slope. Do you know how to calculate this?

gidoru90 said:
F(Spring) + F(Friction) > F(Object2) + F(Object1) --> moves upwards
F(Spring) + F(Friction) < F(Object2) + F(Object1) --> moves downwards

You are close.

If the absolute value of F(Object2) + F(Object1) - F(Spring) > F(Friction) then m2 (and the whole system) moves.
If, on the other hand, [itex]|F_{obj1}+F_{obj2}-F_{spring}|<F_{static.friction}[/itex] then the system doesn't move.Whether or not it moves depends on the absolute value of the forces.

Which way it moves is determined by whether the net force (you don't have to include friction) is positive or negative.

So when figuring out which way it moves, you don't need involve the force of friction (AS LONG AS you've already determined that it DOES in fact move).(This is why I asked you to find out what had to be true for the system to move.)

Likes 1 person

1. How do Newton's Laws apply when an object is on an incline?

Newton's Laws still apply when an object is on an incline. The only difference is that the force of gravity is now acting on the object at an angle, rather than straight down. This change in direction of the force must be taken into account when applying the laws.

2. How does a spring affect the motion of an object on an incline?

A spring will add an additional force to the object on an incline, known as the spring force. This force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

3. How does friction come into play when an object is on an incline?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and always acts in the direction opposite to the object's motion. On an incline, the force of friction will act in the direction down the incline, making it more difficult for the object to move up the incline. This force must also be taken into account when applying Newton's Laws.

4. What is the net force acting on an object on an incline with a spring and friction?

The net force on an object on an incline with a spring and friction will depend on the specific situation and the values of the forces involved. However, the net force will always be equal to the sum of all of the forces acting on the object, taking into account their directions.

5. How can we use Newton's Laws to predict the motion of an object on an incline with a spring and friction?

By applying Newton's Laws and taking into account the forces acting on the object, we can create equations that describe the object's motion. These equations can then be used to predict how the object will move, including its velocity, acceleration, and position at any given time. Using these equations, we can accurately predict the motion of an object on an incline with a spring and friction.