1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons laws clarification question

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

two questions below in my classical mechanics course (our first homework assignment) and I'm not sure what the questions are actually asking...do they want the equations? descriptions of the laws? names of the laws?

I'm confused because question one and two seem very similar !

1) What are the newton's laws of motion in newtonian mechanics?

2) Please list the theorems you know based on newtons laws

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The two questions are different. One is asking you to list and define each of Newton's Laws. This is really straightforward: I'm sure you know what they are.

The second is asking you to list other theorems that result from or can be derived from Newton's Laws. So, it's not asking for Newton's Laws themselves, but other principles in physics that result from them. As a hint, can you see anything in your notes/textbook that is actually referred to as a "theorem?" (Not that the nomenclature of "theorem" vs. "law" is actually meaningful -- it's all somewhat arbitrary). I can think of at least one.

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    work-energy theorem and impulse-momentum theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook