Newton's laws / pulleys question?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving pulleys and forces on objects. Part a is correct, but part b requires further consideration. The tension values for T1 and T2 are not equal and need to be adjusted.
helpmeplease2
I have uploaded the problem here: http://i36.tinypic.com/mps9i.jpg

These are the answers I have gotten so far:

a) L1 = 2*P1 - P2 - x1 + (pi*R)
L2 = 2*P2 + (pi*R) - x2

b) Forces on M1 --> M1*g downward, and T1 upward, which I think is equal to M2*g. Therefore a1 = [(M2 - M1)*g] / M1

Forces on M2--> M2*g downward, and T2 upward, which I think is equal to M1*g. Therefore a2 = [(M1 - M2)*g] / M2

If someone could tell me if I am correct so far, and also how to approach the remaining parts to the problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a is correct. In part b, you assume T1 = M2*g, and T2 = M1*g, but that's false. Consider a force diagram for pulley 2. You have one rope pulling up and essentially two ropes pulling down. Now, a pulley does not change the force between the two rope halves (on either side of the pulley), it just redirects the force, so the tension T1 going up from M1 is also the force going upwards above pulley 2. Also, if one half of the bottom rope for pulley 2 is pulling down on the pulley with T2, then the other half must also be pulling down with T2. Thus, on pulley #2 we have 2*T2 pulling down and T1 pulling up, and these sum to zero since m*a for the pulley is zero since it is massless. So T1 = -2*T2.

I would first commend you for attempting to solve this problem and for seeking clarification on your answers. Your equations for L1 and L2 seem correct based on the given information. However, I would recommend using the correct units for each variable (e.g. P1 and P2 should be in Newtons, x1 and x2 should be in meters).

For part b), your understanding of the forces on each mass is correct. However, your equations for a1 and a2 are incorrect. The correct equations should be:

a1 = [(M2*g - T1) / M1]
a2 = [(T2 - M1*g) / M2]

These equations can be derived from Newton's second law (F=ma) and the fact that the acceleration of the masses must be equal (since they are connected by the same rope).

For part c), you can use the equations from part b) to solve for the tensions in the ropes (T1 and T2). Then, you can use these tension values to calculate the acceleration of each mass (a1 and a2) using the equations from part b) again. Finally, you can use the equations of motion (x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2) to solve for the final positions (x1 and x2) of each mass after a certain time.

For part d), you can use the equations of motion again to solve for the time it takes for each mass to reach their final positions (t1 and t2). You can also use the equations from part b) to calculate the final velocities (v1 and v2) of each mass.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always double check your units and equations to ensure they are consistent and accurate. Good luck!

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws relate to pulleys?

Newton's laws can be applied to pulleys in several ways. The first law applies when a pulley is at rest and not being acted upon by any external forces. The second law can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object being lifted by a pulley system. And the third law applies to the equal and opposite forces exerted by the pulley on the object and the object on the pulley.

3. What is the difference between fixed and movable pulleys?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved. In a fixed pulley, the effort force needed to lift an object is equal to the weight of the object. In a movable pulley, the effort force needed is half the weight of the object. Movable pulleys also change the direction of the force needed to lift an object.

4. How do pulleys make work easier?

Pulleys make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. This is due to the fact that the weight of the object is distributed between the pulley and the effort force. Additionally, pulleys can change the direction of the force needed, making it easier to lift an object in a different direction.

5. Can pulleys violate Newton's laws?

No, pulleys do not violate Newton's laws. They simply allow us to apply these laws to make work easier. The principles of Newton's laws still apply to the forces involved in pulley systems, and the laws are not violated in any way.