Newton's Second Law Equation acceleration Question

In summary, the given force gives object m1 an acceleration of 12.0 m/s2 and object m2 an acceleration of 3.30 m/s2. Using the formula F=ma, the mass of m1 can be expressed as F/a1 and the mass of m2 can be expressed as F/a2. To find the acceleration of an object with a mass equal to the difference between m1 and m2, the formula 1/a1+2 = 1/a1 + 1/a2 can be used. After several attempts, the solution was found to be a1+2 = F/(F/a1 + F/a2).
Slusho

Homework Statement

A certain force gives object m1 an acceleration of 12.0 m/s2. The same force gives object m2 an acceleration of 3.30 m/s2. What acceleration would the force give to an object whose mass is (a) the difference between m1 and m2 and (b) the sum of m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found these two solutions online:
http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6754
http://www.jiskha.com/display.cgi?id=1286634662
but I can't follow their math. I tried manipulating the above equation similarly, to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part that you do not understand.
Use the formula a=F/m.

Slusho said:

Homework Statement

A certain force gives object m1 an acceleration of 12.0 m/s2. The same force gives object m2 an acceleration of 3.30 m/s2. What acceleration would the force give to an object whose mass is (a) the difference between m1 and m2 and (b) the sum of m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found these two solutions online:
http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6754
http://www.jiskha.com/display.cgi?id=1286634662
but I can't follow their math. I tried manipulating the above equation similarly, to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hello Slusho. Welcome to PF !

What are those manipulations? What have you tried?

F = m1a1 and F = m2a2, where a1 = 12.0 m/s2 and a2 = 3.30 m/s2 .

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle m_1=\frac{F}{a_1}\text{ and } m_2=\frac{F}{a_2}\,.[/itex] Correct?

Now, use all this with F = (m1 + m2)a1+2 to find a1+2 .

How's your algebra?

I figured it out!

[tex]F=(\frac{F}{a_{1}}+\frac{F}{a_{2}})a_{1+2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{a_{1+2}}=\frac{1}{F}(\frac{F}{a_{1}}+ \frac{F}{a_{2}})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{a_{1+2}}=\frac{1}{a_{1}}+\frac{1}{a_{2}}[/tex]

Thank you so much for you help! I had to work it several ways for a good half hour until I did it correctly.

I can provide a response to this question. First, let's review Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

In this problem, we are given the same force acting on two different objects, m1 and m2, resulting in two different accelerations, 12.0 m/s2 and 3.30 m/s2, respectively. We are then asked to find the acceleration of a new object with a mass that is either the difference or the sum of m1 and m2.

To find the acceleration of an object with a mass that is the difference between m1 and m2, we can use the equation F=ma and substitute in the given values for force and mass. This gives us:

F = ma
F = (m1-m2)a

We also know that the force is the same for both objects, so we can set these two equations equal to each other:

(m1-m2)a = m1a

Solving for a, we get:

a = m1/(m1-m2)

Using the values given, we can plug in m1=12.0 m/s2 and m2=3.30 m/s2, giving us an acceleration of:

a = (12.0)/(12.0-3.30) = 1.57 m/s2

This means that an object with a mass that is the difference between m1 and m2 would have an acceleration of 1.57 m/s2 when acted upon by the same force.

To find the acceleration of an object with a mass that is the sum of m1 and m2, we can use a similar approach. Again, we start with the equation F=ma and substitute in the given values:

F = ma
F = (m1+m2)a

Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for a, we get:

a = F/(m1+m2)

Using the values given, we can plug in m1=12.0 m/s2 and m2=3.30 m/s2, giving us an acceleration of:

a = (12.0)/(12.0+3.30) = 0.8 m/s2

This means

1. What is Newton's Second Law equation for acceleration?

The equation for Newton's Second Law of motion is F = m * a, where F represents the net force applied on an object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the resulting acceleration.

2. How does Newton's Second Law explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied on the object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the resulting acceleration, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller the resulting acceleration.

3. Can Newton's Second Law equation be used to calculate acceleration?

Yes, the equation F = m * a can be rearranged to solve for acceleration (a = F/m). This means that if the net force and mass of an object are known, the resulting acceleration can be calculated.

4. What are the units of measurement for the variables in Newton's Second Law equation for acceleration?

The unit of force is measured in Newtons (N), the unit of mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and the unit of acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How is Newton's Second Law equation for acceleration applied in real-life situations?

Newton's Second Law equation for acceleration is used in various real-life situations, such as designing vehicles, calculating the speed of objects, and understanding the motion of objects in different environments. It is also used in sports science to analyze the performance of athletes and in engineering to design structures that can withstand certain forces.