Newtons second law for coupled oscillators

In summary, the conversation discusses setting the starting equations for coupled oscillators and the confusion surrounding the use of plus and minus signs in physics. The main focus is on writing Newton's second law for the blue (or cyan) body in three different situations, and how to express the forces in terms of displacements. The experts in the conversation provide explanations and examples to help clarify the concept and suggest mentally assuming different cases to better understand the problem.
pinsky
Hello there!

Could someone please help me with setting the starting equations for coupled oscillators. I'm having serious troubles with setting the +- signes right (yes, more than with the differental equations :) ). OFF TOPIC: any reading materials about problems with signs in physics will be appreciated.

So, I've drawn 3 situations here (no need to count the equillibrium), and I need help in writing Newtons second law just for the blue (or cyan if you like) body. No need to bother with solving the equations, i just need the things that go after ma=... ... .. for all three cases.

And could you please write it with all the plusses and minuses (even if, for example, -(-x) occures).

Thanks

[PLAIN]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3959/Newtonzacoupledoscillat.gif

Attachments

• Newton_za_coupled_oscillations.gif
    Newton_za_coupled_oscillations.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 534
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
It seems that you have the right directions for the elastic forces.
Now you just need to choose the positive direction.
Let say is positive to the right. Then for the first (non-equilibrium) situation, N's 2nd law will be something like
[tex]$ F_k - F_{k'} = ma $[/tex]
Is this what you are looking for?
Or you mean how to express the forces in terms of displacements?

1. -k(-x)-(-k'(-y-(-x)))
2. -k(-x)-(-k'(y-(-x)))
3. -kx-(-k'(-y-x))

I think you are getting confused because you are labelling the diagrams with things like "-x". The displacement isn't "-x", it is just x, and x happens to be a negative number.

The same equation applies to all your diagrams

M d2x/dt2 = -kx + k'(y-x)

It doesn't matter whether x and y are positive or negative.

Thank you both for a fast replay.

So, in my textbook, we got the solutions.

ma1=-kx-k'(x-y) (for the first body)

ma2=-ky+k'(x-y) (for the second body)

a1 = d2x/dt2
a2 = d2y/dt2

and i just didn't see how they got it. Let's say situation 1. (in my picture) as Delta2 wrote it.

We begin with:

Fk-Fk'=ma

Fk=-k(-x)

Becouse the x shift was in the negative direction.

I can't quite see the Fk'. If you could, please, explain that. I kind of got it as (x-y) and it made sort of sence. I explained it to myself as [tex]F=-\Delta x[/tex] where delta x is the relative change.

What bothers me the most about signs, is the two ways one can set the equations (that is sort of a citation from my professor). He always sais that it is better not to bother with the signs until the very end. I don't have a clue what that means.

For example, when we dealt with momentum, we always wrote

[tex]m_1 v_0 = m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2[/tex]

regardles of the direction.

Thank you AlephZero.

I way writing the replay so i didn't see your post.

But can you explain how to observe the system to set the equation like that?

In which positions should the object be? What should be the relations of the forces?

Dont bother if x or y are negative or positive, you know that whatever x is then the force Fk will be Fk=-kx.

Fk' is just abit more tricky. if z is the total displacement of the k' spring then simply Fk'=-k'z. BUT we have to be carefull how to calculate z. It turns out that z=x-y and that is because the y body is in the other end of the spring than the body x, so a y displacement towards that end is like a -y displacement towards the side of body x.
Total force is in any case Fk+Fk'=-kx-k'(x-y).

For body y similarly the total force will be -ky-k'z'. But z' here is y-x because we have to measure the total displacement from the end of where body y is lying. A displacement of x from the other end is like a displacement of -x from the end of y.

Thank you delta.

I'll have to think this through a bit, and solve a few more examples, but that's basically the answer i was looking for, i just didn't know how to verbalise it.

In fact, trying to solve these questions writing laws of mechanics can be extremely confusing. And the books somehow do not highlight this point. In your figure, I hope you are more confused about the signs for the middle spring.

you need to remember that the direction of tension at the two ends of the spring actually depends on the OVERALL stretch of this spring. Say, for this middle spring (2), [tex]l\rightarrow l+\delta[/tex]. The tension force's direction depends on [tex]\delta[/tex] and according to that you need to write the equations. Notice that the sign of the stretch [tex]\delta[/tex] depends on spring 1 and spring 3.

You are free to take any convention: both x1 and x2 in the same direction / opposite direction / x1>x2 or x2>x1 etc. Mentally assume one such case; say x2>x1. Then you know the tensions on spring 1 and 3. Now, from the relations of [tex]\delta[/tex],x1 and x2, find out for your case if [tex]\delta[/tex] is +ve or -ve and accordingly assign tension on the two sides of spring 2.

It might be of help to do a single problem for all possible x1 and x2 combinations. That might give you the feel of the problem.

1. What is Newton's second law for coupled oscillators?

Newton's second law for coupled oscillators states that the acceleration of a coupled oscillator is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How are coupled oscillators defined?

Coupled oscillators are a system of two or more oscillators that are connected to each other in some way and interact with each other through forces. These forces can be either linear (such as springs) or nonlinear (such as pendulums).

3. What are some examples of coupled oscillators?

Some examples of coupled oscillators include a mass-spring system, a pendulum system, and a double pendulum system. In these systems, the oscillators are connected to each other and affect each other's motion through forces.

4. How does Newton's second law apply to coupled oscillators?

Newton's second law applies to coupled oscillators by describing the relationship between the net force, mass, and acceleration of the system. The law states that the net force on the coupled oscillators is equal to the mass of the system multiplied by its acceleration, which determines the behavior of the system.

5. What factors can affect the motion of coupled oscillators?

The motion of coupled oscillators can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the forces between the oscillators, the initial conditions of the system, and the properties of the individual oscillators (such as mass, frequency, and amplitude).