Next Semester's Schedule: Double Majoring in Math and Physics - Tips and Advice

• Thread starter greenpick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on their upcoming semester's schedule as they plan on double majoring in math and physics. They are currently taking 18 credit hours and planning on taking the same amount next semester, with honors Calculus II and honors physics I included. They are wondering if they should cut back on humanities courses to focus more on their math and physics courses. The speaker is also concerned about the difficulty of honors Calculus II.
greenpick
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on my next semester's schedule; currently planning on double majoring in math and physics.

This semester I am taking...
Calc 1 (the equivalent of calc 1 and about half of calc II at most universities.)
Foundations of chem (typical first course in college chem)
English 101
Molecular and cell. biology (took this because I initially wasn't sure on my major.)

I am doing very well this semester, with 18 credit hours. Next semester, I am planning on taking 18 credit hours once again, but with both honors calc II and honors physics I.

My schedule would look something like this...
Honors calc II (cover's what is normally calc II, and about half of calc III)
honors physics I
english 102
intro to psych
intro to philosophy

My question is basically; should I cut back on maybe one humanities course, bringing my total credit hours down to 15, so that I could could concentrate more on physics and math?

I'm just worried that I may be biting off more than I can chew. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing your limits is important. We cannot tell you if it will be too much for you. If you are confident in your time management abilities and study habits, then you should do just fine.

I will say, though, that the jump from Calculus I to Honors Calculus II will be quite significant. The other courses should be quite manageable.

As a scientist and someone who has double majored in math and physics, I would recommend that you prioritize your courses and focus on the ones that are most important for your majors. In this case, that would be honors calc II and honors physics I. These courses are crucial for building a strong foundation in both math and physics, and they will likely require a significant amount of time and effort. I would suggest cutting back on one humanities course and maybe even considering taking a summer class to lighten your load during the semester. It's important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself with too many courses. Additionally, make sure to utilize resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours to help you succeed in these courses. Good luck with your double major!

1. When will next semester's schedule be released?

The release date for next semester's schedule varies depending on the institution. Generally, it is released a few weeks before registration begins. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the school's registrar for the exact date.

2. How can I view next semester's schedule?

Next semester's schedule can typically be viewed on the school's online portal or class registration system. Some institutions also provide a physical copy of the schedule that can be picked up at the registrar's office.

3. Can I make changes to my schedule after it has been released?

Yes, you can make changes to your schedule during the add/drop period. This is usually the first week of classes. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that any changes you make do not affect your progress towards graduation.

4. Will all the classes I need be offered next semester?

It is not guaranteed that all the classes you need will be offered in the upcoming semester. It is best to plan ahead and register for required classes as early as possible to ensure availability.

5. What should I do if there is a scheduling conflict?

If you have a scheduling conflict, it is important to reach out to your academic advisor for guidance. They may be able to help you find an alternative class or assist in resolving the conflict. It is also recommended to have backup classes in mind in case of conflicts.