Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice little proof, can any one do it?

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    A linear transformation F is said to be one-to-one if it satisfies the following condition: if F(u) = F(v) then u = v. Prove that F is one-to-one if and only if Ker(F) = {0}.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, what are your thoughts about this?

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To help you along a bit:

a) IF one-to one..
    You are to show that this implies the kernel of F contains just the 0 element.

Now, you can prove that this must be true, by way of contradiction:

ASSUME that the i) linear transformation F is both ii) one-to-one AND has iii) non-zero vectors in its kernel.

Show that i)+iii) implies that F is NOT one-to-one!

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4
    hmmm yeah my friend posed this proof to me and asked me to try and find a good solution to it if i could, to be honest i have idea! its possible that i just lack the algebra to do so

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5
    Um, this proof doesn't really require any algebra, just the basic properties that define a linear transformation. For the reverse direction, suppose F(u) = F(v) so that F(u) - F(v) = F(u-v).

For the forward direction, you could also prove that F(0) = 0, which means that {0} is contained in Ker(F), so you just have to prove that Ker(F) is contained in {0}. Let v be in Ker(F), find out what this means and remember that you should have proved 0 = F(0).

7. Sep 6, 2009 #6
    ah thanks snipez90, pretty sure ive got it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook