Nice little proof, can any one do it?

• Thread starter rusticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, a linear transformation F is one-to-one if for any two vectors u and v, if F(u) = F(v), then u = v. It can be proven that F is one-to-one if and only if its kernel, denoted as Ker(F), only contains the zero vector. The proof for this statement can be done using the properties of linear transformations, without the need for algebra.
rusticle
A linear transformation F is said to be one-to-one if it satisfies the following condition: if F(u) = F(v) then u = v. Prove that F is one-to-one if and only if Ker(F) = {0}.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, what are your thoughts about this?

To help you along a bit:

a) IF one-to one..
You are to show that this implies the kernel of F contains just the 0 element.

Now, you can prove that this must be true, by way of contradiction:

ASSUME that the i) linear transformation F is both ii) one-to-one AND has iii) non-zero vectors in its kernel.

Show that i)+iii) implies that F is NOT one-to-one!

hmmm yeah my friend posed this proof to me and asked me to try and find a good solution to it if i could, to be honest i have idea! its possible that i just lack the algebra to do so

Um, this proof doesn't really require any algebra, just the basic properties that define a linear transformation. For the reverse direction, suppose F(u) = F(v) so that F(u) - F(v) = F(u-v).

For the forward direction, you could also prove that F(0) = 0, which means that {0} is contained in Ker(F), so you just have to prove that Ker(F) is contained in {0}. Let v be in Ker(F), find out what this means and remember that you should have proved 0 = F(0).

ah thanks snipez90, pretty sure I've got it out!

Related to Nice little proof, can any one do it?

1. How does this proof contribute to the scientific community?

This proof provides a new understanding or approach to a problem that has not been previously explored. It may also lead to further research and advancements in the field.

2. Is this proof peer-reviewed?

Yes, this proof has gone through a rigorous peer-review process, where other experts in the field have evaluated and provided feedback on its validity and contribution to the scientific community.

3. Can this proof be applied to other areas of science?

It depends on the specific details of the proof and its application. Some proofs may have broader implications and can be applied to various fields, while others may be more specific to a certain area of science.

4. How does this proof relate to previous research or theories?

This proof may build upon or challenge previous research and theories. It is important to consider the context and background of the proof to fully understand its significance.

5. What are the limitations of this proof?

Like any scientific study, this proof may have limitations. It is important to consider the assumptions, methods, and potential biases in order to fully evaluate its findings.