Dealing With "Nightmare" Professors

• Thread starter huskerwr38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: If you get a low grade on a test because the professor arbitrarily decided to give you low marks, you have two options: 1) Talk to the professor and try to work out a better system, or 2) Deal with it.
daveyinaz said:
To sympathize with the OP, I have had professors that were complete asses, towards me and my peers at the time. I'm a pretty calm fellow with a tough past so a few words and petty demeanor are like water drops on a duck's back...but I did see how it negatively affected a specific classmate and I have to state that no matter the capabilities of the students to learn from a 'nightmare' professor...behavior such as what the OP is talking about should not be tolerated.

I also think a lot of the talk on here is exactly what exacerbates garbage like this by it's condonation, even so far as people rationalizing the professors conduct. The "stop being a baby and learn it yourself" is irrelevant since college students pay money to be taught, not to be abused by someone who feels it's their place to insult your intelligence because they have done something you haven't.

In any case, the way universities are ran, as one poster said, everything is stacked against the student, which should not be the case.

I agree with daveyinaz. The "nightmare professors" that the OP started this thread about are not simply those that are incompetent, mediocre, or have unreasonably hard tests/homeworks... they are those who demean students to the point where it can affect students' emotional well-being, not to mention hindering their learning and academic success. I've had 2 "nightmare professors" (both during the same semester!). Realistically, what could I have done except for try to learn the material on my own and write negative (and truthful) evaluations at the end of the semester. One professor made sexist jokes. Although I'm sure my college had a policy against this, any action on my part would probably have involved considerable time and energy from me, as well as potentially causing me to lose respect and credibility from my classmates and other professors, since I was 1 of only 2 female students in that class, and would probably be mocked as being overly sensitive or politically correct. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of my male classmates found his jokes distasteful too. The other professor berated students every class and when I tried to see him at office hours offered very little help. We had no textbook in the class, and when I asked him for a book recommendation he said he couldn't think of any. Both professors were tenured and actually both are now retired, so hopefully I was one of the last to have to put up with them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teachers should be required to have a bit more teaching education, I agree.

My prof for EM last semester was a nightmare. We were working out of Griffiths Ch 1-7. The prof used notes and slides from a different prof who taught it the previous year. I don't even think he looked at the slides before teaching. Every time he hit next we had to suffer through a bout of: 'ohh.. hmmm ok.. let's see here... ah yes... so after some work we get to this equation... which.. well... describes this thing here that we're talking about.. and well... yes.. hmm.. no... well... yes yes oh its so simple.. just do some algebra and we get here! Go back to chapter 1 if you don't understand... next' *repeat*

I did so poorly in that class, my EM2 prof this semester is MUCH better.

edit - After reading some more of the posts here I suppose my situation is less of the nightmare you seem to be defining here. To me it was a nightmare. Despite the teaching this prof actually wasn't a bad person.

It is hard for me to identify with these complaints. Once in 1969 I knew a math grad student who said he was shortchanging his teaching to make time for his thesis research, but in the following 41 years I never heard of this phenomenon again. Every professor I knew in my department worked hard on his/her teaching. Almost every professor I had in college and in grad school also prepared his lectures extremely well.

I believe you, but based on my own experience, this is a rare phenomenon. That is my math experience. However I admit my first physics professor was terrible. I also had one bad French lit professor, but the other French lit professor and in history, philosophy,shakespeare, chemistry, slavic literature, 20th century novels, French language, the professors were all excellent. the psychology prof was so-so but he meant well, he just had no flair for lecturing.

but it really matters what you are looking for. there was a professor who was highly recognized and very popular at my college who had a seductive style of lecturing that suckered in the audience. His approach to lecturing on science was to present "straw men" and knock them down for the audience's benefit.

I.e. listening to this guy you came away thinking how stupid those people were that he made fun of and clever you and he were for not agreeing with them. Much later you might learn that the people whose opinions he ridiculed actually had a good case, but he hadn't presented it fairly.This model of intellectual dishonesty was one of the most popular lecturers on campus at a top school, but to me he was an intellectual charlatan.

mathwonk said:
It is hard for me to identify with these complaints. Once in 1969 I knew a math grad student who said he was shortchanging his teaching to make time for his thesis research, but in the following 41 years I never heard of this phenomenon again. Every professor I knew in my department worked hard on his/her teaching. Almost every professor I had in college and in grad school also prepared his lectures extremely well.

I believe you, but based on my own experience, this is a rare phenomenon. That is my math experience. However I admit my first physics professor was terrible. I also had one bad French lit professor, but the other French lit professor and in history, philosophy,shakespeare, chemistry, slavic literature, 20th century novels, French language, the professors were all excellent. the psychology prof was so-so but he meant well, he just had no flair for lecturing.
I've had similar experience to you thus far. I've had bad professors because they lack capability in teaching or are perhaps monotone but almost all my professors clearly prepared extensively for class and (in all but one case) cared quite a bit about how well the students do.

I would say the first case of a professor I've had who does not prepare was this quarter in complex analysis. The professor 'seems' to just walk in and start lecturing but every once in a while he pauses and takes a look at the textbook as if he doesn't know what to say next then goes off lecturing again.

I've had some poor professors, but most of my problems come with jerk graduate students. Seriously, grad student TAs can be some of the most annoying, pompous douche bags you have ever dealt with. They think they know everything (but they don't), and their only pleasure in life is making themselves feel better about how terrible they are at research by being a tool in lab.

I have had some really nasty TAs. They would yell at you if you asked a question, acted completely condescending towards any undergrad, etc. And the problem is that you have to learn how to tiptoe around their ego in order to do decent in the class. God I hate these kinds of TAs.

I had a recitation TA for Chemistry that was so bad! She was a cute Asian lady, and her English was so bad that she was impossible to follow unless you were brave enough to ask her to back up again and again. These recitation periods were mandatory, but they were absolute hell.

<h2>1. How do I handle a professor who constantly belittles or criticizes me in front of the class?</h2><p>First, try to understand the root of the issue. Is the professor truly trying to help you improve, or are they being unnecessarily harsh? If it's the latter, try talking to the professor in private and expressing how their behavior makes you feel. If that doesn't work, consider talking to a department head or academic advisor for further guidance and support.</p><h2>2. What should I do if a professor is unresponsive to my emails or requests for help?</h2><p>If a professor is consistently unresponsive, it's important to document your attempts to reach out and seek help. This can be useful if you need to escalate the issue to a department head or academic advisor. You can also try reaching out to a teaching assistant or other students in the class for assistance.</p><h2>3. How can I cope with a professor who assigns an excessive amount of work or gives unrealistic expectations?</h2><p>The first step is to communicate with the professor and express your concerns. If that doesn't work, try prioritizing your workload and focusing on completing tasks that are essential for your learning. Don't be afraid to ask for extensions if needed, but make sure to communicate with the professor and provide valid reasons for the request.</p><h2>4. What should I do if a professor consistently gives unfair or biased grades?</h2><p>If you feel that your grades are consistently unfair or biased, it's important to document your work and grades, and speak to the professor about your concerns. If you're still unsatisfied, you can reach out to a department head or academic advisor for further assistance. It's important to have evidence to support your claims in these situations.</p><h2>5. How can I maintain a positive attitude and succeed in a class taught by a difficult professor?</h2><p>Remember to focus on your own learning and growth, rather than the behavior of the professor. Seek support from other students in the class, and make use of resources such as tutoring or study groups. It's also important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being, and not let a difficult professor negatively affect your overall academic experience.</p>

1. How do I handle a professor who constantly belittles or criticizes me in front of the class?

First, try to understand the root of the issue. Is the professor truly trying to help you improve, or are they being unnecessarily harsh? If it's the latter, try talking to the professor in private and expressing how their behavior makes you feel. If that doesn't work, consider talking to a department head or academic advisor for further guidance and support.

2. What should I do if a professor is unresponsive to my emails or requests for help?

If a professor is consistently unresponsive, it's important to document your attempts to reach out and seek help. This can be useful if you need to escalate the issue to a department head or academic advisor. You can also try reaching out to a teaching assistant or other students in the class for assistance.

3. How can I cope with a professor who assigns an excessive amount of work or gives unrealistic expectations?

The first step is to communicate with the professor and express your concerns. If that doesn't work, try prioritizing your workload and focusing on completing tasks that are essential for your learning. Don't be afraid to ask for extensions if needed, but make sure to communicate with the professor and provide valid reasons for the request.

4. What should I do if a professor consistently gives unfair or biased grades?

If you feel that your grades are consistently unfair or biased, it's important to document your work and grades, and speak to the professor about your concerns. If you're still unsatisfied, you can reach out to a department head or academic advisor for further assistance. It's important to have evidence to support your claims in these situations.

5. How can I maintain a positive attitude and succeed in a class taught by a difficult professor?

Remember to focus on your own learning and growth, rather than the behavior of the professor. Seek support from other students in the class, and make use of resources such as tutoring or study groups. It's also important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being, and not let a difficult professor negatively affect your overall academic experience.