1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nilradical math help

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let N be an ideal in of a commutative ring R. What is the relationship of the ideal [itex]\sqrt{N} [/itex] to the nilradical of R/N? Word your answer carefully.

Recall that the nilradical of an ideal N is the collection of all elements a in R such that a^n is in N for some n in Z^+.

EDIT: this definition is dead wrong

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Answer: a is in the nilradical of N iff (a+N) is in the nilradical of R/N. So they are the same. Why did they say word your answer carefully?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you quite sure that's the definition of "nilradical" given in your class? The definition you give is indeed the definition of [itex]\sqrt{N}[/itex] but that's called the "radical of N". The term "nilradical" applies to rings, and the nilradical of R is the radical of its zero ideal. (i.e. the set of nilpotent elements of R)

They're obviously not "the same"; one is an ideal of R, the other is an ideal of R/N, and they (usually) don't have a single element in common.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    Sorry. I was totally wrong.

The radical of an ideal N is defined as the set [itex] \sqrt{N} [/itex] of all a in R such that a^n is in N for some positive integer n.

The nilradical of a ring is the collection of all the nilpotent elements.

Let me see if I can figure it out with the correct definitions...

5. Feb 7, 2008 #4
    Is this answer worded correctly:

a is in the radical of N iff (a+N) is in the nilradical of R/N

So they are canonically homomorphic, right? I would call them the same but it seems like other people disagree...

6. Feb 7, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good.

"Canonically homomorphic"?

7. Feb 7, 2008 #6
    OK. Forget that.

My final answer is "a is in the radical of N iff (a+N) is in the nilradical of R/N".

Why did they say word your answer carefully? Is my answer worded carefully enough?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?